XJ: TD 'Pocket Tourer' - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't see the need for armour on the aftermarket tank it looks very sturdy.

Last edited by indertdxj; 12-01-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 14-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everything seams to be coming together. I reckon in the next two weeks I will have airbags and auxillary tank installed.

Last night I welded the handbrake assembly into its new position. I cut the tabs off the original, flattened them out and re welded them onto the new bottom (old top) of the assembly. I then bolted the assembly onto the rail using a existing threaded hole in the chassis and then tapped another in for the second bolt.

Doing it like this means that the assembly is upside down but I figure that it will be less likely to catch on sticks etc on the trail. It may however collect some sand, mud and water so have drilled a couple of 12mm drain holes in it.

On Friday the autometer fuel gauge I had on order (30 - 233 OHMs) arrived. I bought this off summit racings sight on ebay. So my job in front of the Telly over the next week is to cut out the the necessary holes in the gauge pod and install the switches and gauges for airbags and fuel pump. I also need to figure out the wiring on the fuel pump that I have received from a 1996 cherokee. The pump/sender fits the tank but the inifo I have tried to track down off here and NAXJA doesnt match the colour wires I have on the loom coming from the pump/sender.

The loom has a black wire, yellow wire, pink(?) with black stripe wire, purple witch white striped wire and a orange wire. Once I figure out what does what and get the gauges and switches in the pod the auxillary tank install is go.
Old 14-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
As for a filler, you might want to think about having a Y filler so you can fill one or the other through the same hole. This is better in case you dont want to fill both all the time or one gets a leak. You might just want to pick up one of those chrome exhaust tips that split into two. Might just be able to cut the original filler leaving the first few inches and then with a short bit of hose connect the Y piece below it. You would want some of the orginial as think they have to be spark proof at the top where the petrol nozzle first touches.

I am thinking GOJEEP of using the Y-piece or T-piece but also in having a 'tap' the same as the ball taps used in gas/water installs in between theh filler neck and the auxillary tank. This way when I want to fill the auxillary I just hop under the car and turn the tap.

The only problem I forsee is that I don't want diesel sitting in the auxillary tank unused for too long. I am going into the third week of having my 125L tank installed and am reading just below half on the gauge. I suppose that every second fill around town I can fill the auxillary tank and half fill the main tank and then after a week or two pump the contents of the auxillary into the main. This way I can keep the fuel cycling threw both tank. The plus of having the tap is that I really only need to half fill the auxillary and then close the tap. I really don't want to have to carry 180L of fuel around town, I imagine it won't help fuel economy.
Old 14-01-2008
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

With a Y setup you just stick the nozzle into the tank you want to fill. None of the fuel will go into the other tank unless you fill past the top of the Y which should only be a couple of inches below the cap.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 14-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See your point and like it...got to find the Y-piece.
Old 15-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been looking at some nice switches for in cab conrols for airbags, compressor, auxillary fuel pump etc...

http://www.waytekwire.com/

This company will ship ARB Locker style carling switches from the states and they look reasonably cheap. Shipping is however a killer and they have minimum orders which isn't such a drama as I need a few.

But I think the $150 odd dollars would be better spent elsewhere. Just thought I would post incase some one was looking for a supplier for the switches.
Old 15-01-2008
wheeliebin
Visitor

I'm sure you already know this but.....the "contura" style of switch can be found at any Oz marine store like www.whitworths.com.au or a huge range of carling switches can be found here;
http://www.aquavolt.com.au/cgi/index..._id=1107141281

Also found a great water tank for the XJ on the site you listed. At least it'll suit me well, fitting neatly behind the laid back rear seats. Holds 60 litres plus the 50 in my trailer bladder.
http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catal...87000abd717cdb
Post New Thread  Reply