WK2 Dual Battery Set Up - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-07-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default WK2 Dual Battery Set Up

For anyone interested, I installed the dual battery system into my Laredo this weekend. Pic's below, but using set up similar to what John on this forum showed me.
Step1

200amp red cable from main battery under driver seat to a 140amp circuit breaker mounted at rear of main battery compartment.

Step2

200amp red cable from circuit breaker under carpet, under door sill trim under rear passenger seat mount to a Piranha 140amp solenoid.
Piranha mounted under swing flap behind rear passenger seat and earthed to rear tyre storage skirt mount using existing screw.

Step3

200amp red cable from Piranha to Battery box strapped down to rear seat mounts.
Step 4

200amp black cable from Battery box to large earth connect using rear seat mount bolt.
Step 5

Install SAAS 12v guage on RHS driver windscreen pillar, earthed to body near driver door hinge.
Run red cable (I used 20amp) from 12v guage down side of dash, then under door sill trims all the way to the 2nd battery. I included a small glass in line fuse near the 2nd battery.

Two hard part:
1 - make the decision to put 2 screws to mount to SAAS 12v guage in the pillar trim on RHS of windscreen. Figured I could always replace the trim if needed.
2 - running a 200amp cable under the carpet, then sill trim, then under rear seat. While not a great distance, it tested patience and self control.

All seems to be working so far.

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.

Last edited by scarps; 22-07-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 23-07-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Good job Scarps, and I appreciate it takes more time thinking than actually doing the work!
My Piranha isolator works fine and have clocked 14,000k with it installed so far. It is feeding the DC / DC charger for the second battery (running the Engel) and all does the job no worries.
I have pretty much decided to fit my LED DC panel meter and changeover switch for the 2 batteries in the side of the centre console just in front of the drivers seat. I have discovered a small removable plate in the trim there (dunno what it might be for...) that looks like it might suit me.
John

Last edited by JnK; 23-07-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 23-07-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Hi Scarps, I'm having trouble visualising where you've installed the 2nd battery (probably because I don't know much about the WK's interior.).
Can you describe it a bit, or have a wider-view photo?
I'm trying to steal ideas for my WH... still thinking of locations for a hidden 2nd battery, and if you've managed to fit one in the WK, then I could definitely get one somewhere in the WH.

Thanks
Old 23-07-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys,

that all looks great but you need to look at a few things.

the saas gauge is fitted to a pillar trim which needs to blow off for the air bag in the event of an acident. the place in the console that has a small removable trim is for the parh over ride switch.
sorry for being a bit negative but things you need to know.

also under the lhf seat is a free space like the factory battery location. might be worth a try.
Old 23-07-2012
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78may View Post
Guys,

that all looks great but you need to look at a few things.

the saas gauge is fitted to a pillar trim which needs to blow off for the air bag in the event of an acident. the place in the console that has a small removable trim is for the parh over ride switch.
sorry for being a bit negative but things you need to know.

also under the lhf seat is a free space like the factory battery location. might be worth a try.
Thnx 78may, no negativity, sound questions that I pondered for some time. Agree the SAAS guage location was a hard call and I did check behind the trim for the air bag travel and action, so what I did was short screw (6mm long) the guage mount onto the trim so no protrusion past the inside of the trim. I also left enough cable behind the guage that in the event of airbag activation, there is enough there to still allow the trim to 'blow away' without impeding the travel of the top of the trim on the basis that the airbag 'blows' out and forward from the top.
I have followed the other forum post where a couple of guys have installed the 2nd battery under the passenger seat, but that space wasn't big enough for my battery without seriously modifying the area. It would fit a reasonably standard size battery. I've actually used this well under the passenger seat to store my recovery gear - drag chain, snatch strap, shackles and gloves. Easy to get to but out out of the way and stored nicely.

Old 23-07-2012
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
Good job Scarps, and I appreciate it takes more time thinking than actually doing the work!
My Piranha isolator works fine and have clocked 14,000k with it installed so far. It is feeding the DC / DC charger for the second battery (running the Engel) and all does the job no worries.
I have pretty much decided to fit my LED DC panel meter and changeover switch for the 2 batteries in the side of the centre console just in front of the drivers seat. I have discovered a small removable plate in the trim there (dunno what it might be for...) that looks like it might suit me.
John
Thnx John, really appreciated your guidance. Of interest, the more I play around with the inside of the WK2, the more I find the little hidden spaces that can be used for storage. Where I mounted the Piranha (behind the rear passenger seat and the plastic skirt that surrounds the spare tyre) has some really good nooks and crannies for storage of items you might want to have on board, but not floating around the back of the car. i.e. Umbrellas and 2 piece fishing rods store nicely behind the rear passenger seat under the carpeting swinging plate that slides up and down when you tilt the rear passenger seats forward. It's here that I also found the 4 large rear seat mounting bolts and if you need to bolt something down in the back, this is the place I'd do it.
Thnx again.
Scott

Old 24-07-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarps View Post
Of interest, the more I play around with the inside of the WK2, the more I find the little hidden spaces that can be used for storage. Where I mounted the Piranha (behind the rear passenger seat and the plastic skirt that surrounds the spare tyre) has some really good nooks and crannies for storage of items you might want to have on board, but not floating around the back of the car. i.e. Umbrellas and 2 piece fishing rods store nicely behind the rear passenger seat under the carpeting swinging plate that slides up and down when you tilt the rear passenger seats forward. It's here that I also found the 4 large rear seat mounting bolts and if you need to bolt something down in the back, this is the place I'd do it.
Thnx again.
Scott
I've also explored quite a bit - much to the dismay of my wife who has not been too impressed seeing the interior trim off and innards exposed.
Ours has QL and so there isn't space under the passenger seat, and behind the rear seat and under the trim is the nitrogen pressure tank, so I've kept away from that.
Other little cubbies have all sorts of stuff stashed, like the compressor and snatch strap, plus tools and spares.
My module has worked well so far fixed down to the spare holding down bolt and it is solid - but as you've found out there aren't many other good fixing points. I reckon the hold down points accessible above the floor could be downright dangerous.
Thanks 78may for the info re the park lock access, I did check it out and will leave enough slack in the wiring to the LED DC panel meter if I have to get it off in the future.