Dropping the front shaft - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2006
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Dropping the front shaft

Hey people,

Im just trying to work out if I have a problem with the TFcase or other probs as we havn't had this one for long I thought I should ask the question.

Can it damage the quadytrac if I drop the front shaft just to run a few tests and ideas.

Im trying to chase down a driveline noise that is intermittent and doesn't happen when Im in the car, just my wife.

So it could be a biological problem as she is female and doesn't normally hear noises like dragging aircon compressors and the like but apparently this is annoying.

Also I don't think the LSD is unlocking properly as it drags the front wheels on semi tight turns e.g. pulling into the drive way at home.

The other problem is the 22.52 L/100km econnomy that I have to do something about. The XJ was not even close to that even on LPG it only overed around 18 to 19l/100km and 14 to 15 on petrol.

Any ideas/theories would be appreaciated on both counts.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2006
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quadratrac or Quadradrive??
Old 12-10-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are a number of concerns here:
First of all, is it a ZJ or WJ? They have different systems (viscous coupling versus gerotor pump). If WJ, 4 litre or v8?
Shouldn't be a problem taking out the front driveshaft - we have done this on a couple of MJOC trips when front driveshafts have been damaged.

Front doesn't have LSD so should be no dragging of front tyres, but be aware it is an "on demand" 4WD system, so could be getting some drive to the front anytime.
Economy is a disgrace, unless you are stuck in peak hour traffic constantly. I would be having it plugged into a computer to see that all sensors are working correctly. If 4 litre, I would suspect TPS, but get it plugged in.

Won't make any comment about only your wife being able to hear it...... they are a different breed..... (oops, that was a comment!)
Old 12-10-2006
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

IF you have Quadradrive, you have a Vari-Lok limited slip differential in your front diff housing hence my question...

Billsta drove around for the longest time without a front shaft in his QD equipped WJ.

IF you have a ZJ then no, you don't have an LSD unless you put it in yourself...
Old 12-10-2006
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

It's 96 ZJ(ZG on the plate but I dont know the difference and everyone says piss off the G so I'll call it J) with QuadraTrac.

So I realise it has a viscous coupling and this is where my concern lies as Ive got it on the hoist at work as we speak and I cannot get the front wheels to turn all independent of the rears.

Also the LSD is Mega tight meaning im not a small bloke and Im having to strain to turn 1 back wheel, are they all like this? I have had a Triton with LSD rear before that wasn't anywhere near that tight.

Finally Im not sure what this thing has, I got it cheap through a mate that works for a wholesaler and it has dual batts, alloy bar, coopers and poly airs in it so Im not sure how far the previous owner would have gone, but I know he popped one of the bags the bastard.

Thanks for the quick reply though, hope thats enough info to get an answer or 2 or at least point me in the right direction.
Old 12-10-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JEEZZ disco ,looks like you bought a can of worms,pull your diff covers and work out what centres you have ,will also give an indication of condition of oil and centres,check for metal in the oil .keep us posted.
Old 12-10-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure of the diff/trans case probs (haven't owned one of these - have TJ, WJ, XJ) so will leave that to someone with experience with this model, however it will have the 4lt, so get it plugged in re fuel usage.

Good Luck!
Post New Thread  Reply