Spacer Lifts for XH / WH - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: XH / WH Lift kit choices
I'd be interested in a Rustys spacer / Rancho shock lift kit 7 53.85%
No thanks, I'd prefer a non-spacer option and am happy to wait. 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2007
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Default Spacer Lifts for XH / WH

Have read all the US forums and the division between Rusty's & Rocky Road seems as about as definitive as Holden vs Ford .

However where they both seem to get bad press is their lack of customer service if the instructions don't quite make sense and also the quality of the rear shocks included.

I don't really want to pay the sort of money that's being thrown around as the price of the OME kit and am still not convinced about a spring only conversion when no-one does a front strut yet (although Rancho RSX is hopefully due any day now, and it still won't suit more than a 1" spring lift).

The most common lift in the US (As far as I can find out) is the Rustys or RR spacer lift with the supplied or better replacement shocks for the rear. They are 2-2 1/2" inches.

I am seriously thinking of the Rustys spacers (metal for the front, poly for the rear) and they have agreed to sell me the spacers only . I picture a package that is Rancho RSX shocks and the spacers.

2 questions (after all the blah) :
1) Anyone got any feedback on Rusty's since the RR reputation here ain't the best (hey Wooders!!)
2) How many people are out there would be interested in that option (about $700 for the kit ie 4 spacers and 2 rear shocks)? Answer this question in the poll.
Old 11-07-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont know the difference between spacer and non spacer options and what is good or bad etc.

I will wait till you do something, report that it all works fantastically well, then go with your suggestions!!

Looking forward to it. (PS - Taser knows that this is my MO. Let others who enjoy doing the research do it, then ride on their coat tails!!!)
Old 12-07-2007
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bomber,

I have been looking at these as well and was going to get the spacer lift and supply my own rear rancho's. Was that $700 delivered or just the kit?

My only question was will it still be used if I did the spring lift as well and then get around 3"? Not sure of issues related to going this high yet and totaly impossible until the new front dtrut is avaialble and some articulation figures are produced.

JTO
Old 12-07-2007
Jeepin' is incurable....

JTO the pricing I have done was delivered and including the Rancho shocks (rear only).

I am also looking closely at the Teraflex spacers, they are dearer than the Rusty's (by about $100US) but based on the US forums are probably way better than the RR and a bit better than the Rusty's. I should have firm pricing early next week on the Teraflex option.

The WH in MJOC with the Kings lift really suffers from a lack of articulation in the front - it's very easy to get a wheel well in the air as there is not enough down travel left in the struts.

Springs and spacers - it's been done before but until somebody does a longer front strut - and no-one has yet that I can find - the only options are the Rockkrawler which replaces the lower control arm to have a different angle and thus lift the suspension from the bottom or the increasing number of spacer choices.

Reading the US forums no-one complains about a loss of articulation with the spacers on the WH / XH but I'm asking the question anyway. Can't find anyone here who has lifted an XH yet (apart from the Dobinsons / Kings options of spring only) but Robbo had the RR spacers on his WH and didn't have failure the other MJOC WH did (front spacers broke!).

I know the people on LOST KJ talk about long term problems with spacer lifts (ball joints mostly, sometimes strut failures as well). If the front Ranchos actually arrive then that might help solve one of those two problems. Robbo only did about 50,000kms in his before swapping into a JK Unlimited so his IFS didn't get time to wear out but he did do plenty of track work in it.

Last edited by Bomber; 12-07-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 13-07-2007
Poly Performance Junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bomber,

For $700 that seems to be a good option in the interim while awaiting the front strut (if ever!)

Keep me posted as I am interested at getting something done by the end of the year.

JTO
Old 13-07-2007
Jeepin' is incurable....

JTO I'm hoping to have mine in well before Christmas (if the questions ever get answered!), I want the extra clearance for Fraser Is - 6 MJOCers are following me up and I don't want to be at the front slowing down the convoy along the beaches .

My goal is a day off after auditors have left the building, so mid-late Sept.

Of course you've still got approx 4 hours labour unless you have strut and spring compressors handy. Not a super cheap lift but still better than stock in short-medium term.
Old 13-07-2007
Poly Performance Junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bomber,

My only issue is that I also have a Range Rover project going as well. If I sell that I could get the 4.5" kit instead. I had another look on the web site and is the attached pic the kit that you are talking about?

If I can get over to the US before the end of the year with work then I would bring the 2 1/2" lift back as luggage.

JTO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wkb-2_01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	20580