FSJ: Richo's build thread - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Default FSJ: Richo's build thread

A lot of Melb/Vic based readers on here have seen the old FSJ in the flesh, and most at Jambo saw it too.

I'm not setting out to break records or build the world's best FSJ here, but since I brought it around 3 years ago as a stocker the aim has been to make it (1) reliable and (2) a better rig in the bush.

Here's how it was when I bought it (after a day and a half of cleaning):

Looked clean but really already had lots of rust, dents, and in average condition.
And now:

So far specs are:
top end of the 360 rebuilt/intake/carb/HEI/headers/cam/new twin tank LPG
the engine runs sweet and makes just shy of 300 honest horses.
AMC TF 727 auto (being rebuilt now)
NP 208 no drama's so far
front diff is LP D44, new disk rotors, Detriot locker centre, 4.88 gears
Rear diff is full Solid Axle Ind HP D60, detriot and 4.88

Suspension at present is rearched leaves,plus 3" longer shackles on front in std spring under config. Rear is rearched with 2" spacers in std SO config. Currently running a 2" BL as well, and I've cut the hell out of the guards and fitted XJ update flares to cover 37" x 13" boggers.

Spent a lot of time figuring bump stops, making new bump stop mounts for the rear in particular then finding the correct rancho's to suit. Std front sway bar was junked as it really doesnt add value on road, and even though I had JKS disconnects on it they were a pain to use, right in the line of mud and crap, and couldnt be reliably swung up and held out of the way.

3rd on the flex ramp for LWB trucks at Jambo is ok for a cheap suspension set up. I wonder what 1st (black betty) and 2nd place (JK07) spent on their suspension set ups? LOL (just kidding, not even close to same league)

Obviously also running a warn highmount (modded) with rope and a front bar built by Ben at 4by Fabs. Rear tyre carrier is a Kaymar orig 1984 rear chero bar, with jerry can holder as well. Its been modded to suit the BL and braced back to the towbar, but there's a bit of slop in the pivot.

Whilst it works, it really does hang off the back a long way, so whatever I do, I want the rear tyre tucked in closer to the body as you can really feel the tyre hanging off the back. Added to that the weight of 2 full LPG tanks and the back feels a little heavy, and has sagged the rear springs inside of 18 months.

Plans are:

high steer conversion and SOA for the front.
rear shackle inversion for the rear- if you've ever looked at the rear springs on an FSJ, the shackle at the rear points down into a hanger/bucket- obviously done to keep the rear low. BJ's offroad do a rear hanger/shackle flip kit, on its own it lifts the rear of the car 7" apparently:
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-844.htm

This kit is still in the air/on the water as i type this.

BTW, i have no plans for a coil conversion etc. Leaf springs are what it came with, and what is going to stay, with the aim to maximise their flex and offroad ability. Longer leaves / less leaves maybe/ change mounting positions, but coils no.

The bottom end of the engine will also be rebuilt, as whilst current hp is usable and nice, sometimes it just feels like its not enough. With higher comp up from std (around 8.4:1) and bigger cam and a change to a 670 truck avenger (up from 470 cfm currently) another 100+ HP should be easily achieved.

As far as body, looking at several options, including J truck cabs on 108" FSJ chassis;

This one has J truck cab, bobbed M715 tray. Is on a full length (120 inch +/-) J truck chassis though. Which i can source.

Or more of a buggy look, (like the cut down doors) with tube style/ comp type tray with tyre carrier on the rear. This one runs 8 lug D60's and Hummer rims:

J truck on FSJ chassis again. I really like this look, esp when combined with a tube /comp style tray would make for a fairly unique rig. This one has a crap tray, a crap front bar and really should run 37's:

OR an alternative is similar to the JAA ute and the black chief at Jambo, where the roof and rear windows were hacked off and chequerplate used to cover the gaps, to effectively turn it into a ute. Still issues with rear overhang though.

Ideas, ideas...... right now, I've got to get past moving house and then christmas (and work issues).

But this thread is to seek feedback on plans I guess and keep me moving.

Last edited by Richo; 07-10-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love this thing, sounds awsome and looks massive... Wish I could have seen her in action though.
Old 06-10-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

that's a sweet looking rig mate, really like the front grill over the one in the first pic.
Old 06-10-2010
TJ DRIVER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

see if cam can sort your suspension for you he thinks outside the box and likes american junk .
Old 06-10-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just my humble opinion cut it down in to a ute like that black one from Jambo. But perhaps shorten the rear to improve the rear over hang. I think that would look really wild.
Old 06-10-2010
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcilr8 View Post
Just my humble opinion cut it down in to a ute like that black one from Jambo. But perhaps shorten the rear to improve the rear over hang. I think that would look really wild.
Agree, would have to be the most photographed/liked rig at Jambo bar none, OR do the M-715 thing to piss Trav off.
Old 06-10-2010
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcilr8 View Post
Under that mud i think it might have been blue