JK Front bumper roundup - Page 95 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-05-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Valid point, I have ARB Delux Combination Bar http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-p...-bars/3450200/... Are you saying the 2 lower hanging plates with holes that look alot like recovery points are not actually recovery points?
(picture 8 of 9 on link above shows the plates)

If these are not recovery points, then where are they located as it says in product description 'Durable tow points incorporated into the chassis'
So that when you tow the vehicle or pull it onto a flat bed it is secured at the strongest point of the vehicle as all tow points normally are.
These points have not been designed or tested for a snatch recovery and if the whole where to open up and have the D shackle go through the window of the recovery vehicle you would not be able to sue them as you have been advised that these are not recovery points and should not have been used for this purpose. That is why some of the bars now don't have tow holes any more so there is no chance of snatching from them.
Old 28-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD4FUN View Post
So that when you tow the vehicle or pull it onto a flat bed it is secured at the strongest point of the vehicle as all tow points normally are.
These points have not been designed or tested for a snatch recovery and if the whole where to open up and have the D shackle go through the window of the recovery vehicle you would not be able to sue them as you have been advised that these are not recovery points and should not have been used for this purpose. That is why some of the bars now don't have tow holes any more so there is no chance of snatching from them.
interesting, that one would have fooled me.
On my stock JK i have two loops (one front and rear) that I assumed were recovery points for snatching. I got stuck last weekend and cracked open my new snatch strap and the shackle didnt fit through the loop.. lucky the snatch set in my brothers 4wd fit through and snatched it straight out.

just did a bit of light reading and there seems to be a bit of differing opinion as to whether this front loop is just a tow hook or if it is safe for recovery.

I don't want to have to watch this hook go flying through my brothers windscreen when he pulls me out next time..but not sure if I need to look at installing rated recovery points (if this is something 4wd shops do for the JK) or getting a front bar with rated recovery points (but it seems companies are shying away from these now re: ARB) ?
Old 28-05-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljames View Post
interesting, that one would have fooled me.
On my stock JK i have two loops (one front and rear) that I assumed were recovery points for snatching. I got stuck last weekend and cracked open my new snatch strap and the shackle didnt fit through the loop.. lucky the snatch set in my brothers 4wd fit through and snatched it straight out.

just did a bit of light reading and there seems to be a bit of differing opinion as to whether this front loop is just a tow hook or if it is safe for recovery.

I don't want to have to watch this hook go flying through my brothers windscreen when he pulls me out next time..but not sure if I need to look at installing rated recovery points (if this is something 4wd shops do for the JK) or getting a front bar with rated recovery points (but it seems companies are shying away from these now re: ARB) ?
This is your front loop:

Mounted vertically it's not designed for perpendicular loads, i.e. snatching. If they put it on horizontally you may be able to use it, but I don't know if it's rated.

You can replace the loop with a Mopar hook (same bolt pattern as the loop) which is standard fit in the US:

I've read that they are rated to 4500 lbs. You can get them real cheap out of the states or I believe Wooders stocks them. I have two on the front of mine and have snatched plenty of times with no dramas.
Old 28-05-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

So i was under the impression that the 2x loops mounted vertically (towards the ground) under the ARB front bar are for recover not tie-down. You can see the 2x loops im talking about at the ARB site http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-p...-bars/3450200/

I have used these to sling a snatch strap between each loop with D-shackles (orange in pic) and then used another snatch strap in the middle to spread the load. So im now confused, are these not recovery points?? Last thing i wanna happen is one rip off & possibly hurt someone

Old 28-05-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

They are tow points and are not rated for recovery, this is the problem. The ARB bar is proabably the most common JK front bar at the moment in Australia and I am not aware of one failing under a recovery situation, and I use mine for recovery as well. However, I think the problem is ARB are worried they may not be up to the task in some situations given they can not know what you will be pulling with them (think fully loaded 4 door up to the chassis in mud for example) so they say tow point only so that if something does go wrong they will not be held responsible.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 28-05-2012
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
They are tow points and are not rated for recovery, this is the problem. The ARB bar is proabably the most common JK front bar at the moment in Australia and I am not aware of one failing under a recovery situation, and I use mine for recovery as well. However, I think the problem is ARB are worried they may not be up to the task in some situations given they can not know what you will be pulling with them (think fully loaded 4 door up to the chassis in mud for example) so they say tow point only so that if something does go wrong they will not be held responsible.
ARB used to call them recovery points, no doubt their lawyers got involved due to the amount of litigation that is in this country now

Clockwork Orange 1983 CJ8 work in progress
Big Red 2009 JKU another work in progress

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 28-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
thanks for the response.

so do you think this means that the standard jk "tow hooks" are also pretty fine for most recovery situations or have you heard anything about them failing under load?