Transmission Issues. 2.7 CRD - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

No such sticker. However, as my JK is a 2013, it was mandatory to comply under Us law.
From my research on the net, the jscan programmer seems responsive to customer requests. Since the app indicates some WG support, try emailing him to ask about it.
Also, the app has a demo mode so if you have a Chineseum scanner already, try downloading the app to see what it can do for you (noting that cheap scanners do not always work or maybe incomplete.)

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post

I definitely recommend this combination of software and hardware over Torque and the cheap scanners. I also note the software has some coverage of the WG but it is beta.

The WJ Diag is the beaten path, it just works.
Straight from the website:

Engine and transmission are using for diagnostic ISO 14230-4 KWP and all other modules are using J1850 VPW data protocol.
Old 11-02-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
Engine and transmission are using for diagnostic ISO 14230-4 KWP and all other modules are using J1850 VPW data protocol.
Thanks for that. Just checked the details of the unit I purchased and 14230-4 is listed so it should work. I'll trouble shoot and see what happens.
Old 11-02-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Keep goin Indiedog
Good people here to help you
You'll get it working
Old 14-02-2020
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Okay so finally got another go at this this morning. ......

First up tried it on the KJ. All the pretty lights on the ELM lit up. With WJdiag it would connect to the unit and the menu came up. On hitting "Engine" it would attempt to connect (green lights flashing on ELM unit) then got the message "No answer/Error from ELM". Then tried the Torque app and they would talk to each other.

Next tried it on the WG. After several attempts I got the tablet to connect to the ELM with the WJdiag menu coming up. On hitting either Engine or Transmission it would attempt to connect (but this time no lights showing on ELM unit) and then the same "no answer/error from ELM" would show. Again Torque would connect.

To check the app was functioning correctly I deleted it and then reinstalled it this morning. No difference in outcome.

So as mentioned before I don't expect WJdiag will def' work on the KJ, that was really to check connectivity between the ELM and the tablet.

So not sure if it's the ELM or the connector on the car. Any thoughts? To test the car I need to find someone with a reader that works and try that. If it's not that then it's most likely the ELM unit.
Old 14-02-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've got a shelf in my garage with a pile of cheap ELM devices from working through exactly what you are now. I strongly recommend that you bite the bullet and buy the real thing. Once I did, everything worked.

Torque partly works on the WG but won't get or clear codes. It completely misses the transmission. It just won't talk to the TCU at all. It will show engine temp, boost and other basics. That's all.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 14-02-2020
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

When you say “the real thing “ do you mean the one from the Aussie seller? As mentioned they don’t actually use the ELM chip.