Help with red lighting bolt and codes - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Help with red lighting bolt and codes

Hi guys i need help, i had the commander crd let me down today (not bad has done 280k trouble free).
Going down the high way it developed what i thought was a miss but went away in seconds then when i was nearly at the job site the turbo started whistling and then when i backed off it dosed quite loud (pretty cool if i was 20 and driving a vl turbo but i'm neither) it was also low on power.

I scan for codes which showed
P0473 exhaust pressure sensor "A" circuit high,
P0046 turbocharger/supercharger boost control "A" circuit range/performance

I cleared these then when i left for home same thing and blowing a bit of smoke, i noticed it would sort of come good then go again. Once again i scaned and it came up with P0046 again

Then just before getting off the freeway the red lighting bolt came on, i had next to no power and also not turbo noises or smoke , i scared again and it came up with, P0404 EGR "A" control circuit range/ performance.

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything , could this be the swirlpot motor thing and can i do the resistor mod to fix it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You haven't split the hose from the turbo resonator to the intercooler have you?
It is located at the front of the engine, right hand side looking from the front, next to the battery.
Old 07-10-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yep, I would be checking the intercooler hoses as well.
Old 27-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Im bringing this back up as i have had no luck, i hurt my back and was unable to do anything until the last couple of days.

Cooler piping is ok, i Replaced the EGR with a second hand unit, the turbo actuator changes position when the ignition is turned on is this correct?

I tried the swirl motor resistor mod, i thought it might be jammed open so i pulled the fuel filter out and i could move the linking rods freely.

Am i missing something or am i not doing something right?

https://youtu.be/NqEq-wFvK-Q

Video shows the problem with smoke, at the end it blow the resonator off (i forgot to put the bolts back in)
Old 27-12-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

definitely sounds like a boost issue to me
it's all over the place
possibly waste gate or actuator ?
but could very well be EGR operation
there's water cooled egr piping in the valley
there's a couple of sensors too ...
boost and temp
Old 30-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks renovator

What should i attempt first, my first thought was waste gate stuck open or not working correct but i didn't think these turbos ran waste gates i thought it was part of the VGT actuator step up.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey 07commander

P0046 would be where I'd start with the actuator
You've fitted a 2nd hand EGR what did the port look like ?
Was is all gummed up ?
Have you cleaned your inlet manifold ?
After that you could try replacing the turbo vane actuator.

But remember everything on these Jeeps are electronically controlled
Just because a mechanical part is misbehaving,
doesn't mean the mechanical part is faulty.
Sorry mate, but software that reads live data will be really helpful for this one.