Convince me a xj is the go - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-09-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Convince me a xj is the go

I'm in the process of buying another 4wd after getting rid of my Rangie, I was tossing up between a solid axle 4 runner or a solid axle hilux both diesel and both because of parts and mods are so easy to do, but now I'm thinking of a early model xj (95/96), now i'm not afraid of getting the hands dirty and i know that all 4wd's need up keep, but how are the xj's in regards to doing mods myself and reliability. I've noticed that lift kits aren't real cheap and then if you want to go a decent lift you have to add a sye (can some one explain what one is and what it does) now with the rangie all I needed to fit 33's was a 2" bodylift and cut the guards, what will I have to do to fit 33's to a XJ can i cut guards can i fit a body lift, basically what i'm after is a reliable 4wd than can run 33's and have a few luxuries of at least air con and power steering, any advice is better than no advice so thanks in advance

cheers

Dixie
Old 14-09-2007
Better half of Dave'n'Wen

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, is the XJ going to used just for day to day driving or do you intend on taking if off road, I am presuming you want to take it off road.

Last edited by wendaloo; 14-09-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 14-09-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Check out Go-Jeeps site for a good description of an SYE: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

You can't do a body lift on an XJ as they don't have a seperate chassis. There is stacks of info on this site regarding what you want to know so hit the search button, sit back and enjoy
Old 14-09-2007
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Or in simple terms Slip yoke eliminator replaces the output shaft of the XJ transfer case with a fixed yoke on the box.
Without it the shaft will fall out if you lift to high or flex too far.

Cant do a body lift on an XJ, its unibody or monocoque construction, there is no chassis.
This also means you have the best power to weight ratio in its class and lowest COG.
All the lift has to be done in the suspension, so there isnt a cheap way to fit 33s you will need to replace most of the stuff between the body and the axles to do a properly engineered lift.
Smaller lifts for fitting 31s can be done relatively cheaply, coil spacers on the front and addaleafs and/or longer shakles onthe rear.

Price of this gear in Oz comes down to demand, xjs arent on the top of the list for most offroad builders, most decent kits are imported and come in by the pallet load, not by the container load. There simply isnt the demand or turnover for Jeep mod parts so they are kind of "special" vehicles. Or if ya like exclusive?
Even the alleged serious off road shops who find it easier and more profitable to do pootrols, landbruisers & luxes will try to steer you away from an XJ, mostly through their own ignorance of them and their "expertise" with other brands.

Just one tip, DONT BUY A DIESEL XJ!

Buy my 98xj
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 15-09-2007
TerraFlexer

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Don,t Get A Diesel
Old 16-09-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
I'm in the process of buying another 4wd after getting rid of my Rangie, I was tossing up between a solid axle 4 runner or a solid axle hilux both diesel and both because of parts and mods are so easy to do, but now I'm thinking of a early model xj (95/96), now i'm not afraid of getting the hands dirty and i know that all 4wd's need up keep, but how are the xj's in regards to doing mods myself and reliability. I've noticed that lift kits aren't real cheap and then if you want to go a decent lift you have to add a sye (can some one explain what one is and what it does) now with the rangie all I needed to fit 33's was a 2" bodylift and cut the guards, what will I have to do to fit 33's to a XJ can i cut guards can i fit a body lift, basically what i'm after is a reliable 4wd than can run 33's and have a few luxuries of at least air con and power steering, any advice is better than no advice so thanks in advance

cheers

Dixie
Need convincing? They are a good way to go! Converted from a Discovery to a XJ, will never look back, except for a Defender.

"CANYONERO"
Old 16-09-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dont buy a hilux....... gutless in the mud and too expensive to fix compared to a cherokee...... JUST DONT BUY A DIESEL XJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my xj sport has been to hell and back but its also well maintained and its better than the day I bought her..... my xj limited is nicer to drive tho on the road
Post New Thread  Reply