Surrounded by Jeep critics. Send help now! - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
My XJ did not let me down, and yes I used 21l/100k as an average for the trip, but I spoke to a 4.0 turbo diesel Patrol owner at Seisia and he had achieved 17.4l/100k towing his camper, so considering you could buy 3 or 4 XJs for the price of his Patrol a 4l/100k penalty is cheap.

Gee i just love the way you guys try to justify your crap points.......
An XJ cost around $40,000 (limited closer to $50k) anywhere from 10 - 15 years ago. Vs a current pootrol for $54k or a 3 year old second hand one for $20k. Or a 15 year old one for less than $10k.

Try comparing a $8000 xj against a $8k 4.2 pootrol. I know which has more room, is bigger, stronger and more economical. And which one I 'd go touring in. And yes, i used to own an xj, but i'd still pick a Patrol as a tourer every time..

If your going to make comparisons, at least be reasonably accurate, instead of making up crap that justifies your own arguement.

BTW, i now have a current shape GU, and bugger me, it cost more than an old XJ. I must be crazy huh. But i'd still rather tour in it than any XJ ever made.
You missed my point completely.

I am not trying to justify the XJ, I was merely pointing out that a much newer, supposed economical diesel, was only 4l/100k better than my old Jeep, and my Jeep made it all the way to the top unaided, the Patrol however, did need to get snatched out of Nolans creek. Just to fat and heavy i think, as it had all the fruit dual arb lockers, 4" lift 35" MTZs etc etc etc.

When i went shopping there was no Patrol for the same money as the XJ that would do what my XJ would do comfortably. a $10 Patrol is an old GQ and when you talk NVH and ergonomics the XJ is every bit as comfortable as an early GQ that does not have cruise control, none of the $10 Patrols i saw still had functioning air con, they may exist, but most of the Patrols in that price bracket are now POS and value for money the XJ won hands down. At the time i did not have any preference for Jeep, but needed something to tow our camper and for the wife to drive daily, most she said were too big and even a Holden Jackaroo we drove she said felt like it was all over the road (so much for IFS being better on road) she drove the XJ and loved it, since then i have modded it and am now a Jeep convert.

I stand by my comments, and whilst i would love a new 76 series cruiser or GU, you cannot buy a 4.2l GU and the 3.0 is sh*t, in any reasonable condition for under 25K and it will have done 200,000ks unlike my XJ that had only 80,000 on the clock, so when i went shopping an equivalent condition GU was at least 3 times the price (also the 76 series and GU 4.2 are not available in auto that was a requirement for wife's daily driving)
Old 01-09-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe you would consider a Triton,? Ok I have respect for Pajero's, they have their uses as a medium duty 4x4.

Patrols are great if you can get the 4.2 Turbo Diesel their drivelines are bulletproof, but the Petrols are guzzlers and the 3.0litre TurboDeisel is a timebomb.

Jeeps are great without knowing how hard you want to play, and assuming you want 4 doors, I'd have to say Cherokee, plenty of them around in good nick and reasonably priced.

Be carefull of the late model auto's they tend to catch fire. Manuals seem fine.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Post New Thread  Reply