Cleaning under the engine bay? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-11-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Exclamation Cleaning under the engine bay?

G'day guys,

So under my bonnet is gettin pretty filthy and I'm thinkin of giving it a clean. I was thinking put a latex glove over the intake mouth and either a later glove, or plastic bag over the alternator, spray it down with some degreaser and then wash it down with the low pressure hose.

Do you think this will be fine? Would love to get some feedback to make sure I do it properly and don't stuff anything
Old 21-11-2012
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing wrong washing engine bay mate. Just dont put pressure on electricals. Cover the intake with plastic bag, fuse box.
Hose off all dirt , spray CT 20 leave it for a while to work it out and hose off.

I wash my engine everytime i come back from wheeling. Never had any problems. After washing spray silicone spray to lubricate and look WET....
Old 21-11-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just do not spray underneath at the swaybar disco motor if you have a rubicon!!! Guess how I know that...
Old 24-11-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. Will be givin the JK a decent clean tomorrow!!
Old 25-11-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,566 Times in 4,349 Posts

Make sure you take it for a long drive (30min +) after you wash it to dry all the water out. If you dont, there is a strong likelihood that moisture will find its way to where you dont want it. Never hose down a hot engine.
Old 29-11-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatOffTheBush View Post
Just do not spray underneath at the swaybar disco motor if you have a rubicon!!! Guess how I know that...
Yep I also learnt the hard way!
Old 29-11-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yep, cover the air intake and the top horn, it fills up with water and sounds rather sad. i ues CT18 truck wash and leave it for about 1 beer then hit it with the high presure water blaster,i do all the plastic's too, guards, bumpers ect , my JK's now 15months old and still looking good, and my JK gets used off road a lot. cheers David..
Post New Thread  Reply