TJ diff transplant - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly
Looks like a great custom axle job MD....

after cracking a warn hub at JAD I'm thinking of upgrading myself, but am seroiusly short of funds to do so.

are the axles going to be wider than stock?

Good luck with it
Yep the diffs are about 3" wider WMS to WMS. Then the wheels are 15x10 as opposed to the old 15x8, and they have more offset than the older rims. Running 38.5x14.5" tyres, I'm expecting about a 7-8" increase in total track when it's all said and done.

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 22-06-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

while you are building the diffs up, get rid of the pinion bearing crush sleeve and machine up a solid spacer to replace it. makes a big strength improvement.
Old 23-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into what's involved.

Old 24-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While we're waiting for the front diff housing to come back from the diff shop, and for the steel to arrive to start trussing the diff, we thought it'd be a good idea to build a 3 piece flat T/case crossmember and skid plate.

The idea is to have a single crossmember which can hold up the gearbox etc, and then a 2 piece skid plate to go infront and behind this crossmember, which will be easily removable to allow for servicing the gearbox and T/case without dropping the whole thing down. It will also relatively flush with the chassis rails, for more clearance under the centre of the vehicle.

Will take some pics of its progress when I'm at ORI tomorrow.

Old 27-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here's some pics of the crossmember, still in its early design stages, yet to be touched up and zinc coated etc.

Old 27-06-2005
Certifiable Goat Wrangler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lookin great m8 !

Not MUCH beefier than the pitiful D30, eh ?

"Some" q's 4 U
  • While it's all out why not truss the axle tube ? have seen plenty of this during xwc. Just squared section of half box running the length of the tube to the pig in the middle welded on.

Are you shaving the pig for more clearance ? You're gonna have plenty more underhang from pigs that big. Pretty sure they can be shaved and plated (diff cover/bash guard too).

I assume as you're moving the side of the pig you'll be rotating to suit your lift to avoid any poss vibes ?

Rear disc convo while they're out ? Wendleness - u must know- are GQ rear discs easy/cheap to come by ? easy bolt up ? this would be the go I reckon.

Are you going down the painful engineering path or will the beastie be a trailer queen afterwards ? Any gotchas u can see coming up ? Wasn't there a max limit to track increase ?

Going hi-steer at the same time ? Prob not too $$ using pootrol bits...

all the obc xwc dudes run GU front axles and GQ rears for greater CV strength (or so I'm told). Not sure if you could graft GU knuckles to your GQ gear at the same time as re-tubing for even extra beef. OL4x4 boys could prob help with this one...

Heath at kaos4x4 put MQ's in his CJ which are the beefmaster (or more a medium-sized bbq steak compared to your t-bone GQ's) - they should work great, be kin heaps stronger and no more SJPU's (Standard Jeep Purchasing Unit) for spares !

Why not chuck and extra tab on top of the pigs for pull-down winch attachments ? (ala werock) those things are COOL !

1 more thing... We expect you to attack every obstaclehope you've been practising changing CVs
Old 27-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehe thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo

Not MUCH beefier than the pitiful D30, eh ?
Yeah they're just a little more solid than a D30

Quote:
While it's all out why not truss the axle tube ? have seen plenty of this during xwc. Just squared section of half box running the length of the tube to the pig in the middle welded on.
Already in progress for the rear, and will also happen to the front when it gets back from the diff shop.

Quote:
Are you shaving the pig for more clearance ? You're gonna have plenty more underhang from pigs that big. Pretty sure they can be shaved and plated (diff cover/bash guard too).
It's not really something I'd thought about, although I've heard of people doing it. Do you have any links to info where people have done it before and what's involved? I was hoping the 38.5" tyres would help clear the slightly larger centres but the more clearance we can get under there the better!

Quote:
I assume as you're moving the side of the pig you'll be rotating to suit your lift to avoid any poss vibes ?
We've asked the diff place to rotate the centre up 12-14 degrees to reduce the angle on the drive shaft, whilst still allowing the pinion bearing to stay lubricated.

Quote:
Rear disc convo while they're out ? Wendleness - u must know- are GQ rear discs easy/cheap to come by ? easy bolt up ? this would be the go I reckon.
T'is something I'd considered, but I'm not sure how expensive the calipers are. The discs themselves are relatively cheap. I think for the initial build, we'll stick with the drums on the rear, as they've been freshly rebuilt by the guy I bought them off. Might as well let them wear out before replacing them.

Quote:
Are you going down the painful engineering path or will the beastie be a trailer queen afterwards ? Any gotchas u can see coming up ? Wasn't there a max limit to track increase ?
Painful engineering path it is. I've got to keep the thing road registered. I can't see any major dramas with the engineering, but I'll have to have a few more conversations with the engineer as we go along, and check things like steering etc.

Quote:
Going hi-steer at the same time ? Prob not too $$ using pootrol bits...
Definately! Much cheaper and easier to do it on a GQ diff than when I looked at doing it to a D30.

Quote:
all the obc xwc dudes run GU front axles and GQ rears for greater CV strength (or so I'm told). Not sure if you could graft GU knuckles to your GQ gear at the same time as re-tubing for even extra beef. OL4x4 boys could prob help with this one...
This whole project started as a GU diff conversion, we had a set lined up and all, but they're far too wide, and I got the GQ's dirt cheap. In terms of strentgh, I think the GQ's will suit the Jeep okay, but only time will tell. I didn't want to try and get too tricky and start substituting knuckles. It's pretty complex to do what we're doing as it is (ie. wheelbase stretch etc)

Quote:
Why not chuck and extra tab on top of the pigs for pull-down winch attachments ? (ala werock) those things are COOL !
It's like you're reading my mind I planned to put at least a tab on the front for that purpose, and maybe one on the rear for the future.

Quote:
1 more thing... We expect you to attack every obstaclehope you've been practising changing CVs
When have I been known not to attack an obstacle :P If/when I break a CV in the setup, I'll probably put the Haultech or Longfield CVs in there, which are supposed to be much stronger. I think it's another matter of testing it and seeing how it goes to judge what the strength will be like.

Post New Thread  Reply