LS swap into WJ / WG Grand Cherokee and other stuff (ahem...attempt). - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Post LS swap into WJ / WG Grand Cherokee and other stuff (ahem...attempt).

Quite some interest has been shown, so I will actually do a build thread on our beloved Dexter, the Grand Cherro, after all. I’d be just as happy to keep it on the down low. It'd be a lot easier. But, it may help someone else, and entertain others, so here goes.

It’s not that I wasn’t happy with the performance and attitude of the 4.7L eight that they came with, it’s because stupid me wasn’t bleeding the air out of the cooling system sufficiently during a long trip home, after putting a small hole in the radiator while hooning around.

Even though I absolutely had one eye one the temp gauge and one eye on the road at all times...it hit the fan real bad… real quick.
Coolant dropped below the temp sensor, temp gauge lied, and seized the engine solid at 100kph plus. By the time I stopped the damage was done.

Both heads rooted, cracked three bores from memory. That motor was done. At only 115K kms.

Before I even nuked this engine I always thought about engine swapping in something else. I’m hard on gear, and abuse the crap out of this weekender. I don’t want the Powertec 4.7 anymore. I was always stoked with the 545RFE tranny, never missed a beat, until I filled it with muddy water (I should have extended the 30mm long breather tube for the tranny), but even then it was simple to rebuild, and is now in another fellow Ausjeeper’s rig and going strong.

So, I’ve sourced a Gen III LS1, 4L60e and all other bits needed donor car for very little, because I bided my time. Nearly two years actually. I want this project budget to be reasonable.
Didn’t want to fork out for a 6L, throttle by wire etc. Just give me the Gen III.
Everyone who has seen, and been drivin in this Stato thinks it's a pity it's being decommissioned. It's actually pretty decent. I admit I feel a bit bad about it, but, eyes on the prize.

There’s an insane amount of aftermarket and OEM parts support for these engines and autos. It’s ridiculous. That’s because the LS is the slut motor of the engine swap world. There is no engine as popular as this series, for repowers. World wide.

You won’t ever see work done any where near as good as in Gojeep’s build thread for example Far out, Marcus has set the bar way way wayyyy over my head Full respect there. It’s probably going to bore some readers, who have more talent than me.

I’m under no illusion of this being easy to do. Much challenge ahead. I’ve been researching the hell out of this, and actually studying towards it. Many hours already put in. More later.

The aim is to make the below legit. VicRoads certified engineer is in. Money has been put down.

Project duration estimate: 12 - 18mths

Main Bullet points to be done:
  • Engine and trans swap - With 'ALL' electronics working
  • 150mm lift, including tyre radius enlargement. To 35's.
  • Keep IRO long arms, front and rear.
  • Winch bar.
  • Battery relocate.

I’ll slowly get through how and why’s.
Stay tuned, but, DO NOT HOLD your breath. I’m not limiting my time for this. I want to enjoy it, do it at my own pace. So far it’s been fun.

Oh and, it's going to be a bit like this... for I be just a humble carpenter, with average dough available.

Old 01-07-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Hell yeah Hoobz!
This is what we've all been after. I remember that weekend, the smell of coolant, I thought it was my rig, but turned out to be yours after all the donuts in that weird sand pit thing, such a shame to the big WJ.

I am majorly jealous of your garage mate, that def looks the business.
So your changing front bars? Why? I'll buy yours if you wanna offload it.

I reckon you will comfortably get this done in the timeframe and be ready for another great trip, without the WH.
Old 01-07-2019
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Will twin turbos fit

Should be an interesting build to watch.
Old 02-07-2019
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs up

I'll post up my build plan soon. The order of things, and why I'm going in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Hell yeah Hoobz!
This is what we've all been after. I remember that weekend, the smell of coolant, I thought it was my rig, but turned out to be yours after all the donuts in that weird sand pit thing, such a shame to the big WJ.

I am majorly jealous of your garage mate, that def looks the business.
So your changing front bars? Why? I'll buy yours if you wanna offload it.

I reckon you will comfortably get this done in the timeframe and be ready for another great trip, without the WH.
Haha, yep it was the wall ride thingy in the sand that did the radiator in. Getting a new radiator now Not sure which one just yet though.
I felt a bit bad at the time, but that feeling was replaced with wondering what to do with it, and getting a bit excited. One door closes, another opens.

There's a story with the garage. Being into building for an income, we bought an ex rental property in a street we really liked. 20 years ago. Needed renovating. No problems, I got this.
Negotiated with the missus that I could build the new workshop, to build her a new kitchen, laundry, bathroom etc.

Garage went wayyyy over budget

No money left for the house

20 years later, still working on the house, very sowly, it's still a shit box.

If it comes down to it, you've got first dibs on the front bar. But, hopefully we can keep it. He's working it out still. I want it certified. At a minimum I have to do something about the recovery points being out there.
If I can't have that one I made, I'll just put a hidden hitch reciever on the front, and go the hitch winch, for front and rear choice.
I actually winched a lot, mostly from getting diff centred in ruts, bog holes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the time frame Grippy, but there's definitely a couple of elctronic challenges I've been working on, without clear un-practiced solutions to yet.

We're loving the WH. It's my wife's actually, she loves it, and won't let me do anything more to it than what the previous Ausjeeper had done to it. I didn't want to work on hers as well, so when it came up for sale, with exactly what we wanted already on it, we grabbed it.

I did put this on it for her yesterday, that's the only request she had, so we did a deal
Roof light bar. Stedi ST4K 42". I ordered it Wednesday, late at night, it came Friday to our door. It was seriously easy plug and play wiring too. Best lighting kit I've fitted before. Didn't have to cut or join a single wire. Everything plugged straight in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
Will twin turbos fit

Should be an interesting build to watch.

It's been thought about, and most of the other stuff you can do to these relatively easily, but turbos would surely tip me over the edge. And most likely turn away the engineer

I'm keeping the engine and tranny stock

for now

Hopefully it will be interesting.

Some might learn some stuff. Through me, and hopefully anyone else that pops their head in.

Some might have a laugh. At my expense.
Old 02-07-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts

Nice looking thread so far, i take it you are also getting the long arms engineered? If so let me know or even make a post about it, i know a few people that might be interested in getting theirs done, would shave a chunk off the price getting a few done at once.
Old 03-07-2019
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straubz View Post
Nice looking thread so far, i take it you are also getting the long arms engineered? If so let me know or even make a post about it, i know a few people that might be interested in getting theirs done, would shave a chunk off the price getting a few done at once.
Thanks Straubz.

Yes. The long arms are on the list to make legit. I've got IRO front and rear adjustable LA's. We might be looking at other IRO options or even Claytons if needing to. Research is being done now.

Last edited by Hoobz; 03-07-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
Thanks Straubz.

Yes. The long arms are on the list to make legit. I've got IRO front and rear adjustable LA's. We might be looking at other IRO options or even Claytons if needing to. Research is being done now.
Let me know how it goes i have the IRO F+R long arms aswell, i have found a few post on here somewhere about them being engineered, but the members are no longer active on here.

the only engineer i spoke to so far told me my original 2" lift wasn't legal because i had airbags.
Post New Thread  Reply