Diesel XJ **Parts & Info** - Page 15 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-11-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts
Default EGR removal.

just spent a few hrs getting rid of the EGR from the 98 diesel I got last year.
Finally found the engine problem. The EGR had internally fallen to pieces. There were 3 loose bits of metal inside it. When I pieced them together there was a small piece not there. it was the shape of the bit that was found on # 1 inlet valve face. So that mystery is solved.
I cut the metal tube off about 2cm above the nut (1 1/16") on the exhaust manifold & placed a 10c piece under the pipe end in the manifold so that later an EGT probe can be put in with its fitting welded into the pipe stub. On my other jeep, I just put a piece of tin lid between the pipe flange & the EGR body & cut the pipe off at the flange.
Given what I found this time I have placed a second piece of tin tho blank off between the EGR body & the inlet manifold extension. This blank needs to be sort of triangular in shape rather than oval like the other. There is a small hole into the EGR workings that needs to be blanked off as well.
If any one is doing an EGR disable, best do both blankings so that there is no chance of metal fragments going into the inlet.
Old 27-11-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Default Gearbox rebuild kits

The kit numbers apply irrespective of country... but not irrespective of vehicle or year. So not every 'NV3550 rebuild kit' fits every NV3550 in a specific year (e.g. there are 2 kits listed for year 2000). Variations are:
* Synced or non-synced reverse
* 30mm or 33mm OD (outside diameter) cluster journal bearings
* 1-part or 3-part syncos for 1st+2nd gears.

Note that the 'rebuild kits' include the 'small parts kit' so no need to order that in addition.

Kits made by Mopar, by Crown and by Getrag. Crown and Mopar kits are more likely to fit, since made specifically for Jeeps (although not for the TD) but Getrag is by far the cheapest. Cheapest supplier of Getrag kits I found was Cobratransmission.com, but AmericanPowerTrainWarehouse.com knew more and advised correctly.

Since previous post, I ordered correct kit for my mid-2000-built XJ 2.5TD (kit BK235FWS) and had the box rebuilt and about to fit (Mudmonster, you were correct....)

Getrag rebuild kit numbers & fitment:

BK235B, 98 & up, Non Synchronized Reverse
BK235C, 97 & up, synced Reverse (1997-Up) (Cluster Journals 30mm OD
BK235E, 00 & up, synced Reverse (2000-Up) (Cluster Journals 33mm OD)
BK235DWS 98 & up, Non synced Reverse (3 piece 1-2 Synchro, 30mm OD)
BK235CWS, 94 & up, synced Reverse (1 piece 1-2 Synchro, 30mm OD)
BK235GWS, 97 & up, synced Reverse (3 piece 1-2 Synchro, 30mm OD)
BK235FWS, 00 & up, synced Reverse, 3 piece 1-2 Synchro, 33mm OD)

Apologies if teaching grandmother eggs etc... I just went round the loop a bit on this to avoid paying Crown/Mopar parts. My advice is email AmericanPowerTrainWareHouse with your model/VIN.
Old 16-12-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

might come in handy when rebuilding a starter have a look at the pics to determine what one you have

this is the original starter bosch 0 001 218 777 no longer available

this is the replacement starter 0 001 218 177 if you have bought a new one within the last couple yrs

Old 28-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

In my travels to find parts for my '98 2.5L VM XJ, I have not found many sites other than the ones listed in this sticky. I have been on the search for a decently priced overflow bottle cap, and finally found a site in the US that has parts for a diesel XJ. You have to search through it pretty extensively, but they are there. I was able to find the part on that site for $28 USD shipped to me in Italy.

I hope this helps.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/
Old 23-03-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

Diesel Primer plunger repair
http://www.parker.com/parkerimages/P..._Pump_Kit).pdf
Old 28-03-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Default Engine manual

This link gives an engine manual for the engine used in a rover. its an early version of the one used in the XJ. You will see a few minor differences.

http://www.cadgwith.com/Downloads/ro...sel/Engine.pdf
Old 25-07-2015
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

link for good quality and decent price starter motor

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-GRAN.../261959584725?