Catalytic Converter Replacement - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2024
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Catalytic Converter Replacement

Hi there, has anyone had to replace the catalytic converters on their JK 3.8L? I think mine are shot and I'm wondering how much they are to replace? I'm scared to think what Jeep will charge, and I'll will find out I guess when they diagnose the error codes next week. The error codes are P0420 and P0430. I've got a 2009 JK 3.8L with 308,000 kms on the clock. Thanks, Steve
Old 11-02-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,283 Times in 739 Posts

Exhaust shop mate...dont even think about a dealer doing that job...if your going to use a Dealer to check/read/diagnose your codes, so be it..but...being in the ACT you will have a lot of choice as far as which exhaust shop you use.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 11-02-2024
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Catalytic Converter Replacement

Thanks, that's good advice. I'll get the dealership to diagnose the problem, then get someone else to fix it.
Old 11-02-2024
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spook View Post
Hi there, has anyone had to replace the catalytic converters on their JK 3.8L? I think mine are shot and I'm wondering how much they are to replace? I'm scared to think what Jeep will charge, and I'll will find out I guess when they diagnose the error codes next week. The error codes are P0420 and P0430. I've got a 2009 JK 3.8L with 308,000 kms on the clock. Thanks, Steve
Mmmm... I am no mechanic but cat converter on mine has 260000K and no issues. Should last life of vehicle tho yours and mine getting long in tooth).

Could be oxygen sensors or exhaust system leaks... I would check these simpler things first. Also does your cat converter need a good burn off... if u do stop and start trips could get clogged up cos not getting hot enough. Go for a ride somewhere (revs above 2000rpm for 20-30 minutes to get cat hot enough for it to clean itself out by cooking off any carbon etc build up.
Old 12-02-2024
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Have you tried one of the cat clean additives ?
Good mileage though
Hope my 2007 built diesel can do the same.
Old 12-02-2024
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Mine failed at 158,000km in 2017. I priced a Y tube from stealers, then for the same price had a set of RIPP Long Tube Headers and catback exhaust with muffler shipped from the USA. (Exchange rate is worse now, so may or may not be viable, if available.)

Replacement cats from reputable exhaust shop would be the most cost effective way.

As humdingerslammer said, though, check the sensors first. I ran some tests with a cheap bluetooth dongle in the OBD2 port & the Torque app, to watch the sensors cycling & see which ones weren't working properly, then swapped them left/right to see if the fault followed the sensors or stayed with the suspected bad cat. It stayed with the cat...

Last edited by Banshee; 12-02-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 14-02-2024
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Definitely a job for the exhaust shop.

When I had my XJ headers replaced, the cat was thrown out as well. It was replaced by a falcon cat. The original was kind of bulky, but really happy with the result because the falcon cat is fully tucked away having a slimmer profile, and less likely to get snagged or damaged when on the trail.

The non franchise exhaust shop can think outside the square and do some creative and innovative stuff.
Post New Thread  Reply