WK2 CRD Laredo - Has anyone taken one offroad yet? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkomagic View Post
I dont know if I would keep a jeep any longer than its warranty period now. Starting to have a lot of things fail that I would have thought should have lasted a lot longer since I bought my WH in 2005
Mate, I reckon all the new cars are like that now...

I don't plan on keeping the car too much out of warranty too.
Old 29-02-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 660 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzp View Post
Yup - agreed I've got the GC laredo diesel (without Quadralift). Also got a JK rubi which I can also compare with.

I don't think the grand is a serious offroader, however I may be disappointed due to the crap factory Kumho tyres. I've got some BFG AT's on order so this might change my opinion.

Still, if you really want to offroad it - the manual tells you to remove the front air dam - which really isn't practical. Maybe a bullbar would be nice??

I'd definately tick the Quadralift box next time.

In the standard form, it's great for dirt tracks, towing and road warrior work. I love the car, it's just not a serious offroader as is.

Nevertheless - I love the car
1. although a Jeep the grand was never meant to be a SERIOUS offroader, more to compete with luxury european SUVs

2. the tires will help, as long as you can keep them on the ground (what size you putting on by the way?)

3. ARB is rumoured to be coming out with a bull bar, most likely mid this year (FINALLY!)

4. Quadralift isn't all it's cracked up to be - sure it has more ground clearance than the steels but has very limited wheel travel and can't be lifted. don't get quadralift if your into serious offroading, just wait a bit longer until some more comprehensive lift kits come out
Old 29-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Quadralift isn't all it's cracked up to be - sure it has more ground clearance than the steels but has very limited wheel travel and can't be lifted. don't get quadralift if your into serious offroading, just wait a bit longer until some more comprehensive lift kits come out
Yup agreed, however I mainly use this as a daily driver (wifes car) and it tows my boat, Quadralift is great for lowering the car for my wife when she gets in and out (bad back), also reversing up to the boat and lifting the car into the trailer hitch, (magic)
I did not expect this car to compete evenly with the JK but I thought the traction control would be a little better. - to some this may be all the 4wd they need.
Old 01-03-2012
asp_777
Visitor

It has great looks, power and style - much better than the previous models
If I was to buy one - I'd get a Bar, lift (which I read are available to 3.5") , better tyres and avoid the air system. The air dam thingy is a joke and might give you about 1/2" extra clearance - besides, it then exposes the bloody radiator! Try getting it back on!!
I was involved in the original testing of the new Grand in late 2010 and I was very disappointed in it's ability to climb even a moderate hill which others on the test managed with ease.
Jeep have simply changed direction.
I'm very disappointed and probably wouldn't buy one unless I stuck to more than easy dirt roads.
Old 01-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My personnel opinion would be to look at the type of driving you would do. I think I have learnt my lesson by modifying etc etc.. If I wanted a serious off road 4wd I would just buy a Rubicon 4 door, otherwise I would just buy Grand and leave it how it is and be happy with light - med trails beach driving etc
Old 01-03-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback gents. It has been very useful.

I wont be using it for technical 4wd'ing on hard trails. More like 4wd touring to interesting destinations. I have driven one back to back with a Patrol, and dammit the GC is so "seductive" onroad that it's easy to look past its offroad issues.

If I do get one, it will eventually get the ARB bar (hopefully it will be a combination winch bar that they end up doing, like the WH bar), Cooper AT3 tyres, offroad suspension and a snorkel if someone makes one.

Last edited by Savvas; 01-03-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
1. although a Jeep the grand was never meant to be a SERIOUS offroader, more to compete with luxury european SUVs

2. the tires will help, as long as you can keep them on the ground (what size you putting on by the way?)

3. ARB is rumoured to be coming out with a bull bar, most likely mid this year (FINALLY!)

4. Quadralift isn't all it's cracked up to be - sure it has more ground clearance than the steels but has very limited wheel travel and can't be lifted. don't get quadralift if your into serious offroading, just wait a bit longer until some more comprehensive lift kits come out
I don't need a serious offroader - that's what the rubicon is for!

Tyres will be same dimensions. I spend far too much time on road (20,000 km in 4 months) to mess with the drive ability of the car - been ther done that with bigger tyres and lifts. And i tow a race car from time to time.

I really would like the quadralift to help with some ground clearance when on my rural properties - nothing serious - just to lift its skirt a bit.