KL dirt road tip - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2015

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts
Default KL dirt road tip

Hi All,

Just finished a trip to central Australia (SA/NT) the included 1,000km + on dirt/gravel (Mereenie Loop Road, Oodnadatta track, and a few other detours), and thought I'd offer some tips on stone chip protection to other KL owners.

Mudflaps and gaffer tape!

Before we left I put on a set of cheapie universal mudflaps from Supercheap to catch the worst of the gravel. After a couple of hundred kays on gravel it was obvious the parts that were copping the stones were the plastic rocker cover under the doors (no surprise), and the section of the wheel arch flares on the rear doors (as per the pic). I covered with a few layers of gaffer tape to protect from damage for the rest of trip, because the plastic flares on the KL is quite soft and marks easily. I didn't bother with the rocker covers - at least it'll give me an excuse to replace them with rock rails in future!

When I got home and washed it, I was surprised that I didn't spot a single chip on the paintwork - the mudflaps, rocker covers and rear flares seemed to cop 99% of it. If I'd covered the rocker panel and flares with a few layers of duct tape before I hit the dirt, I'd say it'd be almost unscathed from the whole 7,000km trip.

Just a heads-up!

Oh yeah, I should add that the thing was sensational in all conditions on this trip - highway, fast dirt, rock, sand, mud. I can't fault it's performance in any way. Still didn't hit 9th gear at 130+ km/hr on the Stuart Highway, though. I'm beginning to doubt there even is a 9th gear!

Also, props to Jeep Assist who managed to send someone to us in the Flinders Ranges within an hour when we managed to lock the proximity key inside the car in a moment of campsite confusion... If you ever need your car gently broken into, I can recommend Chris from Hawker!

Last edited by lujabe; 06-07-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2015

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Can't like your post but I love it - good work!

Any chance you can do a write up of the trip, the route etc? I'm planning on taking my TH up Oodnadatta Track and Mereenie Loop probably Easter next year - I'd love to hear about your experience, what you recommend, what worked well etc.

Cheers!
Old 08-07-2015

Hi Lenoir,

No probs...

We left from Melbourne, and the itinerary was as follows:

Renmark: 1 night

Flinders Ranges: (Wilpena Pound) 2 nights. We camped here, and it's a great campground - scenic and well spread out. We'd planned a couple of hikes here but rain saw an end to that... We did a bit of a tourist drive loop instead, involving Bunyeroo Valley, Brachina Gorge and Moralana Scenic Drives, via Parachilna. Beautiful places, and the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna does a great Emu Burger.

Port Augusta: 1 night (we'd originally planned 3 night in the Flinders Ranges then heading North up Oodnadatta Track, but the rain wasn't going anywhere and saw every dirt road to the North closed so we backtracked to Port Augusta.

Coober Pedy: 1 night - Definitely worth a stopover. Fascinating place, and I can recommend the Lookout Cave underground Hotel for an interesting place to stay, and there's a little Greek Taverna in the main street that does great food. I'd recommend taking a couple of hours to do a loop circuit through the moon plain and the Breakaways. We were at the Breakaways at sunset and were treated to simultaneous sunset and two rainbows as a storm had just rolled past.

Erldunda (cnr Stuart and Lasseter Highways): 1 night. We camped here - if you must camp or use a van park anywhere on the Stuart Highway (it can be hard to avoid), this would be my pick - it's looked after, plenty of space, and has all the facilities you'd need. Some of the ones we passed through truly are dumps.

Yulara: 3 nights. Uluru and Kata Tjuta - don't really need an explanation - I'd say allow a day for each if you want to do a couple of hikes. If you're in the mood to splurge, I'd highly recommend doing the Tali Wiru dinner - they take you out through the back of Yulara to a site they have an outdoor restaurant atop a sanddune with absolutely spectacular views of Uluru, Kata Tjuta and the setting sun. It's not cheap, but we were 2 of a total of 6 guests that night and it's hands down the best dining experience I've had.

Kings Creek Station: 1 night. We camped here - it's well set out and roomy, but facilities are simple/basic and nothing is cheap. $2.30/litre for unleaded seems pricey, you think. And then you pay $30 for a 6 pack of Tooheys beer... Kings Canyon Rim Walk is a must do.

Palm Valley (via Mereenie Loop Road from Kings Canyon): It's probably 2-3 hrs on dirt to Hermannsberg, then from there another 20km into Palm Valley - 4x4 only but fairly easy - a mix of gravel and sand until you get to the campground which is a doddle. After the campground you're mostly on rock, but it's easy going provided you pay attention. We'd been going to camp at Palm Valley but weren't that impressed by the campground, and we'd made good time and done a couple of walks by mid-afternoon so decided to head for Alice a day earlier than planned (it's only about 2 hrs). While in Palm Valley, definitely do the lookout walk as well as the gorge walk. Hermannsberg seemed a rough town. I'd avoid unless you need supplies.

Alice Springs: 3 nights. we had two days in Alice, one we drove out to the West Macdonnell Ranges and checked out the various gorges/etc. Try and time Simpsons Gap for around sunset and you'll probably be able to see the colony or rock wallabies that lives there. Given time, I'd also have liked to have been able to walk around Ormiston Pound. For me, other highlights in Alice were the Desert Park, Telegraph Station, and Flying Doctor museum.

Arckaringa: 1 night. From Alice, we tracked down the highway to Cadney Park roadhouse. Everything about Cadney Park is shit. Just get fuel and leave! From Cadney we turned onto the Painted Desert Rd, and stopped overnight at Arckaringa homestead. This is a great stopover, basic facilities set up on 28,000 km cattle station, and very welcoming hosts. The Painted Desert itself is spectacular - not dissimilar landscape to the Breakaways.

William Creek: 1 night. We went from Arckaringa to Oodnadatta, and stopped in at the Pink Roadhouse (as you do). We picked up one of their mudmaps and it was handy for a heads up on points of interest. I love the Oodnadatta Track - it really tells a story about how the inland was opened up - allow plenty of time so you can stop and look at things and take some detours. We stayed overnight at William Creek - basic campground but serves it's purpose, and the Hotel does a decent meal.

Farina: 1 night. Just South of Maree there's a ghost town called Farina - absolutely worth stopping in. You can see the efforts of a team of volunteers who are tirelessly working to restore the town on a budget of $50k/year, and there's a really great campground with hot showers (provided you stoke the fire). During busier periods, they fire up the old underground bakery from 1890 and turn out beautiful pies, bread, and cakes. Farina was an unexpected surprise.

Renmark: 1 night, then back to Melbourne

So that's the trip - I guess my some more general observations/etc:

Tyres: I ran mine at 27psi (hot temp) on the dirt. Dropping the pressures makes a phenomenal difference in reducing roughness and vibration on vehicle and occupants. Some would run lower pressures, but while my tyres (Bridgestone Duelers) are All Terrains, they aren't LT construction in the OEM size on the TH, so I was mindful of the risk of exposing the sidewalls to stones if I dropped too much pressure. 27 hot seemed fine, and I had zero issues and zero damage to tyres.

Roads: The dirt roads were generally pretty good - a few parts were muddy and badly chopped up after the rain, and there was the odd patch of corrugations, but keep your speeds around 80-85km/hr and you have a chance to avoid the bad patches, or at least hit them at safe speeds. Oodnadatta Track was overall the best condition, Mereenie Loop road a little more corrugated and quite stony - this is where I wished I'd had that gaffer tape on the wheel arch flares!

Traction: I ran mine in Snow mode on the dirt/gravel because it means there's always torque going to all 4 wheels, unlike Auto mode. Meant it was a little tidier in situations such as hitting corrugations on curves/etc

Fuel: The KL doesn't have a massive fuel tank. Top up every chance you get just in case the next place is out... We spent one very quiet day on the Stuart Highway when every Roadhouse for about 500km South of Alice was out of Diesel - so many stranded Grey Nomads! I felt that was just karma for the time we'd spend doing 85km/hr behind caravans in a 130 zone the week before... I did take a small 10lt Jerry can just in case, but never came close to needing it.

Firewood: If you're camping - plan your firewood - it can be hard to come by and in many places you'll either need to take it in or buy it somewhere.

Apps: There's an App called Wikicamps - my Grey Nomad parents got me onto this - it's a great resource for finding campsites all over the country that you might otherwise never know existed.

Wildlife: Emus everywhere, and they s-t-u-p-i-d! Give them a wide berth. Dingoes are plentiful above the dog fence, and cheeky. We had one chase the car for the smell of a Spam sandwich, and another that was a little too familiar at one campsite (perhaps cooking curry on the campfire was a bad idea!). Keep anything that smells like food in the car when camping...

Cold: Probably less of an issue at Easter, but if you're camping, it gets cold in winter overnight! Sleeping bag, thermals, 2 doonas, thick socks and gloves and beany became the minimum each night for us. More would have been nice!

Hmm. I've rambled on a bit now. Hopefully you'll find some of that useful. All in all we had a blast and it gave me the confidence in the vehicle to have wished I'd planned something a bit more challenging. Ahh well, next time...
Old 08-07-2015

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Lujabe, you are a legend! When I get the ability to Like a post I will come back and like this write up a dozen times over. Can't thank you enough. I'll read it out to the family over dinner and get everyone excited about doing this trip ourselves
Old 13-07-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi lujabe, sounds like a great trip!
Did you get to use the sand and mud mode? If so does it limit your speed? I tried it in sand for the first time but didn't understand why it wasn't possible to get any momentum up! Last thing you need in sand & mud is not being able to get some speed under your belt! Must be doing something wrong?
Also with the mud flaps, I am concerned that there is nothing to secure them to but the inner plastic lining, is this what you did?
Old 13-07-2015

Hi Debath,

Were you in low or high range? Soft sand is really hard work for a vehicle, so I'd suggest low range if you weren't already using it.

If you were in high range, there's a couple of things that might impact your experience:

Selecting sand/mud is theoretically supposed to allow the wheels more slip before traction control/etc kicks in, but it only partially disables the stability and traction control. In sand/mud, the wheels will spin and the vehicle will slide around as you progress. Traction and stability control systems work by applying brakes and to stop wheels spinning and vehicles sliding around. Not your friend in sand! There's a button on the dashboard to turn traction/stability control off completely.

Also, I think in high range sand/mud, it's still shuffling power front to rear depending on traction, whereas low range locks front:rear power distribution 50:50. Selecting low range also disables the traction/stability control, from memory. The rear diff lock is your friend in soft sand, too, ensuring constant power delivery to both rear wheels.

There's a couple of really good vids on youtube that demonstrate:

High range, without diff locked:

Low range, with diff locked:

Re the mud flaps - I just used smallish screws into the inside of the plastic mouldings around the wheel arches (inside of the flares, the actual lining of the wheel well itself is pretty flimsy. Only takes small screws though, it doesn't take much to hold mudflaps on, and if you happen to catch them on something off road you want them to come off without too much grief, not tear parts of the car off with them...

Last edited by lujabe; 13-07-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 13-07-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Makes sense re the screw sizes lajube, I will have another go of the mud sand and see if I can get above 20kph!
Post New Thread  Reply