2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5 TD VM engine - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Update:
Hooked up the work ute to give it more cold cranking amps. Definately helped. I got it running for about 3 seconds then it would die. I had the mrs crank it while i cracked each injector line during cranking.
It would rev sometimes to 1400rpm then die. My injector fittings are now wet and i was getting minor fuel flow out of them. Checked the fault codes and only read 55 which means no faults. Im beginning to wonder if there is a blockage between fuel pump and injectors. Low pressure side checks out to be fine I simply cant get pressure in my injector lines.

[emoji854][emoji854]

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Old 18-05-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.c.coogan View Post
Thanks for the response I really appreciate it. Plunger is now sealed with araldyte. I just tried that method. Still has not fired up. Image below of my attempt. Tank half full, I could hear the air coming out the vent and got fuel coming through the clear hose.
As my injector lines are dry would you recommend having them cracked while I try start it?
Do you crank it right away once you reconnect the pipe?

Cheers
Tom

As soon as you get s steady flow out the return pipe with no air bubbles, reconect the hose on it. Then try & start. I dont loosen the injector lines. May take a few seconds to start.
Why are the injector lines empty? Have you leaks from the rubber injector return lines?
Old 18-05-2022
Senior Newbie

When I crack the injector fitting open diesel does leak out so I can confirm that they are getting diesel. But obviously not enough fuel to fire up properly. Diesel doesnt exactly spray out of the fitting.

I did that exactly. Compressed air up return to tank line until diesel came from the fuel injection pump. Quickly reconnect the pipes and start it up.
Tonight I will see if I can get the Mrs to start right away after air bleeding so there is no chance air can seep back into the fuel pump and surely it will go! I will keep thid forum posted.

Thanks for your responses
Tom

Old 18-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Link below is how it is going. Ive had air in the tank and bled the filter head on both plugs, over flow valve and bled the return hose. It will start up then die.

https://youtu.be/T8ujvFBvUFs

Old 20-05-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

You can blow back with compressed air through the supply line. Make sure you have the fuel cap off.
I think you may have a problem with the overflow hoses on the injectors. Over time the hoses become brittle at the injectors. If the hoses are long enough, you can cut 10mm off each end so you have a better seal. Be careful not to damage the fittings on the injectors. A scratch on the fitting can cause an air leak when its shut down.
Good Luck!
Old 21-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
You can blow back with compressed air through the supply line. Make sure you have the fuel cap off.

I think you may have a problem with the overflow hoses on the injectors. Over time the hoses become brittle at the injectors. If the hoses are long enough, you can cut 10mm off each end so you have a better seal. Be careful not to damage the fittings on the injectors. A scratch on the fitting can cause an air leak when its shut down.

Good Luck!
Thanks mate I will give that a try.
I replaced all the diesel hoses in engine bay a year ago so they should be good.

Do the small injector leak off lines have a procedure for bleeding? Or do they self bleed? Mine are dry on cylinders 2,3 and 4. I wonder if that is the issue.

When you say "blow back", do you mean placing the compressed air gun and a rag (to hold some compression) in the fuel tank filler hole to force diesel through to the fuel system?

Many thanks
Tom

Old 25-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Update:
I got it running and got awesome pressure coming from injectors. I could only get to this stage with a helper. As the engine started to fire I was cracking the diesel lines and closing like a mad man; BUT i noticed that the small bleed line on the end of #4 injector had perished and was pissing diesel out. I was stoked to find this. You were right to assume an air leak there LB. Unfortunately it is still sucking air in from somewhere as is hard to start. I assume it is the fuel filter as its always been a bit dodgy. I will fit a whole new assembly (fuel manager) and an inline hand primer pump. I have a 30 micron filter assembly. Anyone know if 30 micron is ok? Hard to find information on the ryco Z625.

Cheers

Post New Thread  Reply