What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2666 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

My very reliable Goodyear Silent Armors, have long been out of production.

These tyres proved difficult to puncture and had strong sidewalls in rough terrain. With some tread life remaining, they were pushing 7 years plus and needed replacement.

I decided to stick with the original size 225/75R15 (while products still exist) and found two tyres that I could choose from: Bridgestone D697 Dueler or the Goodyear Wrangler Silenttrac AT.

I stayed with GY. It is too early to give a review, but the first thing that I noticed was the drop in road noise, and improved ride comfort. It is like having an extra layer of suspension. Performance on road and in the wet is at another level. The sidewalls are made of the same materials as the outgoing Silent Armors. The gaps between the tread blocks are deep even though the tyre at first glance (outwardly) appears like a highway tyre.

It will be interesting to see how it travels off road.

Last edited by eksjay; 01-06-2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default took awhile but...

so a bit over 20 years ago my XJ,s blinkers stopped self canceling first one way then the other, i bought the little springs and thought ok easy fix,

however there is a spring loaded plate and retaining ring that's impossible to remove without the appropriate tool ( or something fabricated)

so im in the process on catching up on outstanding jobs , the springs have been sitting in the glovebox for years.
i ordered the appropriate tool cost $32.00 and woo hoo now i have self cancelling blinkers.

can't rush these thing thou hahahah
Old 20-10-2023

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhatchins View Post
I changed all the oils, but actually would like to replace the seat covers. Anyone knows a decent brand?
I highly recommend wetokole seat covers. It took me some time to choose good ones but I'm glad that I did the research. The covers are high quality, easy-to-clean and perfect for people with kids and dogs.

Last edited by Henry7788; 20-10-2023 at 10:45 PM.
Old 20-10-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,208 Times in 705 Posts

Thats the second time you two guys...or one guy with two profiles ???....have tried this sales pitch....move on

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 23-10-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

its been a busy few days for me, trying to get the jeep ready for a trip up to fraser from vic

- new headlights in from amazon
- put a new AC pump in as i pulled my other one out when it started to fail
- new release bearing, oh and it started howling at me two weeks after installing
- new fluids and filters all round
- swapped in transfer case from parts car as the front output had started to let go
- new intercooler pipes

and still have a whole bunch of things to do brakes, tie rods rear pinon seal, might have to replace the alternator or something on the belt drive as it was squealing this morning. but if it all goes well will be looking at living out of the jeep for the next month

man i wish i had a hoist!!
Old 23-10-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud_slut View Post

- put a new AC pump in as i pulled my other one out when it started to fail
might have to replace the alternator or something on the belt drive as it was squealing this morning. but if it all goes well will be looking at living out of the jeep for the next month

man i wish i had a hoist!!

Where did you get the A/C (compressor?) is it the same as the 4.0 ?

Mine is on the way out

I have 3 XJ and 6 alternators, only 1 works

90amp Denso units

3 have been confirmed by autolec as most likely either diode or stator short

he (and I) do not know whether diode pack is still available

He advises cheap Chinese replacement (alts) have inferior diode packs which typically fail shortly after warranty expires

So it is a dilemma

I have already "repaired" a couple. If you are on a long trip, and your alt fails, you are up shit creek
Old 27-10-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

its not the same as the 4.0L unfortunately. i got mine out of my parts car. it has x2, one has two plugs (connectors) and one has just one. i put the two connector unit in but i dont thinks its a good unit and will need to be replaced with a new one unfortunately

re the alternator again ive pulled it from my parts car will see if its needed or not over the weekend

has anyone fitted an emu wing or similar to their xj, they look nice but for 7-800 its a stiff drink