Stupid roof rack question - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-12-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stupid roof rack question

Hi guys!

Just looking for a light weight roof rack for the JK. Only want something for a Kayak so the Rino Racks at 30kgs should do nicely.

Quick question though, I assume that the racks are rated at that only due to the resin roof. If the rack was to be placed directly over one of the roll bars and there was a chock fixed under the resin panel between the roof and the rollbar, could you technically exceed the 30kg limit?

I am thinking the only danger would be that the resin crushes (which is still an expensive mistake.

Would appreciate any thoughts!
Superlift Rockrunner LCA
ARB Bar
Old 30-12-2012

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

will be interested in this one as all other roof rack options for JK's are ridiculously overpriced...
Old 30-12-2012

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default rhino bars

I have rhino bars on tracks
also have a cage on top sometimes
I have taken sit on top kayak (plastic and heavy)
all on sealed roads but never a problem and no signs of any damage.
Old 30-12-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Check the sharpwrax thread. Maybe overkill for the load you want to carry but here you go...
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=116124
Old 31-12-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

I work for Prorack & Whispbar and we have just done a track mount for the JK using my JK, its the roof thats rated to 30kg not the Rhino bars which will be around 75kg the same as the bars we sell, if you put a large spacer under the mount when you drill through the roof you effectively spread the load a bit but not by much.

When I carry anything on my JK with my Whispbar setup I make sure its also tied down to the bonnet tie down hoop, this limits any lift on the item on your roof, lift is the killer thing on roofracks and its the one thing that will weaken your resin roof.
Old 31-12-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 77 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The bars are all rated much higher than the 30kg. The 30kg as you said is the limit due to the roof / mounting. The problem with putting in as you said a block to stop the sag between the roof and the roll bar is that will only help with the downward force of the weight. You also have to take into consideration and contend with the upward force.

As an example put a flat piece of ply etc on your roof and see if you can hold it when driving more than 20kph.
Old 31-12-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

The track system that Hotdognz has developed seems the best bet for spreading the load across the top without going overboard. It gives a much bigger footprint but you are still limited by the strength and mounts of the hardtop.