Tail Light Assembly Compliance - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default Tail Light Assembly Compliance

Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR TAIL.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	78028

I recently had my rear left hand tail light smashed. (Thanks to Poly 4x4 in Huntingdale Vic) they found me a second hand one in near new condition.

The question I have is: Ours have a clear lens for signal (Coloured Amber Globe inside) and a clear lens for reverse light.
Moving on ... Plenty of lights on e/bay but none have clear lenses? apart from the turn signal lamp. The reverse lens is red on them too??? I wonder are these compliant?

By the way there are NO tail light assemblies available through jeep in Australia they come as (Not Available Discontinued)

Last edited by Jeepdownunder; 23-01-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 23-01-2019
Full Flexer

I recently had my rear left hand tail light smashed. (Thanks to Poly 4x4 in Huntingdale Vic) they found me a second hand one in near new condition.

The question I have is: Ours have a clear lens for signal (Coloured Amber Globe inside) and a clear lens for reverse light.
Moving on ... Plenty of lights on e/bay but none have clear lenses? apart from the turn signal lamp. The reverse lens is red on them too??? I wonder are these compliant?

By the way there are NO tail light assemblies available through jeep in Australia they come as (Not Available Discontinued)

Last edited by Jeepdownunder; 23-01-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 23-01-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My understanding is the the US has a mandatory requirement for the indicator lenses to be made of orange/Amber. Including the side fender/mirror indicators. If that is still a requirement I don’t know but would explain why they are only available as such.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-01-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts

All my sixties cars use the indicator as the reversing lamp, so hence it's yellow. If in doubt I would just fit them and see where it leads. I'm not aware that reversing lights are even a roadworthy requirement.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Old 23-01-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Reverse: White light and a matching pair

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 1/00 - Reversing Lamps) 2005

6.4 INTENSITY OF LIGHT EMITTED

Moreover, in the case where the type approval will be granted applying the condition above, a statement in paragraph 11 "Comments" of the communication form (see annex 1 to this Regulation), will inform that the device shall only be installed in a pair.

8. COLOUR OF LIGHT EMITTED

The colour of the light emitted shall be white. In case of doubt, the colour may be checked on the basis of the definition of the colour of white light given in annex 4 to this Regulation.

Last edited by ren0vator; 23-01-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 23-01-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

US tail lights are not compliant here in Australia.
Our grands came with a reversing light, an amber indicator light and a combination tail stop light.

The US (WK) doesn't have a yellow indicator and is wired differently so the red brake stop lamp flash's, the clear section is the reversing light.

Aus compliance requires an amber/yellow turn signal (since late 70's I think).

In theory you could rewire the reversing clear section to be the indicator but you would have to fit a clear/white reversing light at the rear of the Grand to comply with Aus law.

By the looks of it if Jeep have stopped making WH tail lights something like this will be our only option.

https://marsperformance.com.au/Full-...ee-WG-WH-05-10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	euro taillight.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	78029  
Old 23-01-2019
Full Flexer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
US tail lights are not compliant here in Australia.
Our grands came with a reversing light, an amber indicator light and a combination tail stop light.

The US (WK) doesn't have a yellow indicator and is wired differently so the red brake stop lamp flash's, the clear section is the reversing light.

Aus compliance requires an amber/yellow turn signal (since late 70's I think).

In theory you could rewire the reversing clear section to be the indicator but you would have to fit a clear/white reversing light at the rear of the Grand to comply with Aus law.

By the looks of it if Jeep have stopped making WH tail lights something like this will be our only option.

https://marsperformance.com.au/Full-...ee-WG-WH-05-10
Thanks all .... might be time to let the Commander go. Its likely there will be less and less bits and pieces available. I'm lucky Poly had a spare left rear otherwise it would have been the U.S. style and they're obviously not compliant. But these are pretty KOOL! nice if they were for my XH Commander.