KJ CRD parts/ Bushes / ball joints - in For Sale section - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2019
Battle Scars

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default KJ CRD parts/ Bushes / ball joints - in For Sale section

I have an assortment of new replacement parts for a 2003 KJ CRD 2.5L Jeep. I was planning to use the in preparation for keeping the car long term. As fate would have it I have now sold it, without using the parts. So I have a lot of new replacement part in need to off load. Head over to the For sale section for more details.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hope you are still on line.
Our KJ has an orange warning light on the dash and we don't have a manual to see what it is. We have just come up a hill climb so suspect transmission. I stopped and restarted and it would not change into higher gears. 70 K at 3000 revs. Limp mode ? It has had nearly an hour to cool down. Should I try again ?

Sent from my 5099U using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default KJ CRD parts/ Bushes / ball joints - in For Sale section

Tried it again after RACQ serviceman attended, orange (engine ?) light went off when I started, but came on again and still would not change above 3rd gear. Tow truck to mechanic, try again on Monday.

Like someone else said last week - overheating, it's a Jeep thing. I want to tow my boat to Sydney and back over the summer, should I be looking at transmission cooler. Any advice ?

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I realise this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it or delete it.
Old 07-09-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
Tried it again after RACQ serviceman attended, orange (engine ?) light went off when I started, but came on again and still would not change above 3rd gear. Tow truck to mechanic, try again on Monday.

Like someone else said last week - overheating, it's a Jeep thing. I want to tow my boat to Sydney and back over the summer, should I be looking at transmission cooler. Any advice ?

Peter

I realise this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it or delete it.

Peter, your KJ has gone into limp mode, could be many things.

If you’d like to start your own thread with the details of what year, model, engine, and any fault codes you have we would be happy to help out where we can.

As a general rule a transmission cooler is a great idea when towing, in hot weather especially. Mount it before the radiator and it will help reduce overall temperatures.

Doug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Doug. I will post again after the mechanic has a look on Monday. I had a 10k service recently but they did not change the filters, not due for another 5k. Interesting.

Peter

Old 07-09-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

I change the filters every service, it’s cheap insurance.
It gives me the chance to see what’s going on.

Doug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

You probably need to get the codes read, most mechanics have a code reader. I carry one in my KJ. You can buy them on eBay pretty cheap, but get one that can reset codes.

There is a good chance it is sensor related, a mismatch between the expected readings of the input and output shaft sensors in the transmission can also throw limp mode, which is why you need yo read the code at the time.
The engine management system will force the engine into limp mode if the coolant temperature goes up to 3/4, and it starts to shut down things to preserve the engine. One of the furst things yo be shutdown is the air con system, as it dumps heat out the condensor up in front of the radiator.
I would not be towing a boat anywhere until you understand the problem.
Post New Thread  Reply