2002 KJ repair ? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 2002 KJ repair ?

Hi All. this weekend my daughter rear ended a ute in my old 2002 KJ .If the insurance company writes off the car i know where a 2004 one is available at a fair price. The motor is an unserviceable 2.8 diesel. My KJ is a 2.5 that has recently had the head, timing belt / tensioner & water pump replaced. the motor is in top condition. I have recently replaced the rear trailing arms , boomerang, shocks, front tie rod ends & brake pads all around.

My main question is the motor swap easily possible . If it is then I need to know someone that I can take both cars to . I don't have the equipment or time to do the job myself.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 06-10-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

My first question would be what’s wrong with the diesel?
Old 06-10-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Next time run into a Honda !
Old 07-10-2020
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

The 2.8 is just as serviceable as the 2.5 . They are basically the same engine, just different bore. A bit of a pain to swap engines. IIRC the turbo & egr systems are different.
Old 09-10-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

location might help.
Old 11-10-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts

The 2002 2.5 CRD is totaly different to the 2.8 L.

You would have to move all the wire harnesses across....maybe your Expert can do this but is a major job!

I have a 2002 Export 2.5 CRD RHD Manual....same as the Aussie models.

My GF ran it into a tree that jumped in front of her in Dec. 2007.
Did not seem to be too badly damaged and the Panel Beaters fixed it up.

Since then I have repaired about 14 wiring errors that have showed over the years. The main harness runs around the front of the Jeep and is impossible to get to. A wire going from say the ECM to the fuse box does not take the shortest route of about 18 inches but travels all the way around the engine bay, through various connectors and eventually gets to its destination....a distance of about 8 feet!

I know my Electronics and in each case was able to diagnose a wire that was shorting to ground or shorting to some other random wire.

In each case I had to cut off the failing wire at both ends...more ends if splices were involved and replaced them with new wires.

I always took the shortest route and marked my changes in the relevant wiring diagrams which I leave under the rear seat for the poor unsuspecting future Owner of this lovely Jeep of mine!

So in my Jeep I make sure I always have my Laptop with the 2002 KJ wiring diagrams on it, spare wire and insulation tape, a Digital Fluke Multi-meter and a broad hat for shelter from the sun if I get stuck on the open road...been there!

So I would not advise fitting a 2.8 L motor in a 2002 2.5 L CRD or vice-versa!

Last edited by Billwill; 11-10-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2020
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
The 2002 2.5 CRD is totaly different to the 2.8 L.

You would have to move all the wire harnesses across....maybe your Expert can do this but is a major job!

I have a 2002 Export 2.5 CRD RHD Manual....same as the Aussie models.

My GF ran it into a tree that jumped in front of her in Dec. 2007.
Did not seem to be too badly damaged and the Panel Beaters fixed it up.

Since then I have repaired about 14 wiring errors that have showed over the years. The main harness runs around the front of the Jeep and is impossible to get to. A wire going from say the ECM to the fuse box does not take the shortest route of about 18 inches but travels all the way around the engine bay, through various connectors and eventually gets to its destination....a distance of about 8 feet!

I know my Electronics and in each case was able to diagnose a wire that was shorting to ground or shorting to some other random wire.

In each case I had to cut off the failing wire at both ends...more ends if splices were involved and replaced them with new wires.

I always took the shortest route and marked my changes in the relevant wiring diagrams which I leave under the rear seat for the poor unsuspecting future Owner of this lovely Jeep of mine!

So in my Jeep I make sure I always have my Laptop with the 2002 KJ wiring diagrams on it, spare wire and insulation tape, a Digital Fluke Multi-meter and a broad hat for shelter from the sun if I get stuck on the open road...been there!

So I would not advise fitting a 2.8 L motor in a 2002 2.5 L CRD or vice-versa!
Sorry to hear about your accident.
It sounds like your jeep suffered significant damage to the wiring & was not repaired properly.
Accident damaged cars are always a problem.
You fail to mention any first hand knowledge of the 2.8 !
Have you ever worked on a 2.8?
They are the same block!
The heads are the same except for a coolant connection.
The turbos are different as the 2.8 has variable vanes & no wastegate.
I dont know how many of the sensors are the same. Nothing to stop the 2.8 sensors being fitted to the 2.5 . Probably the 2.8 turbo could be fitted to the 2.5 .
I am currently looking at fitting a 2.5 head to a 2.8 & it appears easy.
If the wiring is run different, so be it. The main issue will be some of the anti pollution stuff & its best left out anyway.
In Australia there maybe an issue with registration as they dont like older engines being fitted to newer cars. If the 2.8 is junk, maybe a number transfer ?

An Australian equivalent to doing this would be to fit a 186 red motor to a HQ that previously had a 202 ! I know of one on the road.
I know some one who has fitted a Perkins 236 diesel into a HQ 173 petrol ute.
A number of years ago I fitted a 4FB1 Isuzu turbo diesel into a Datsun 1500 petrol ute. Still use it on the farm.
A member on here ~ MudMonster fitted a 4.0LPetrol into a XJ diesel. Retaining the manual transmission.