CJ Build Advice Needed - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-03-2016
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default CJ Build Advice Needed

Hi all
I want to build/buy my first CJ having previously owned a few JKs.

My main objectives are
1. Must be fun to drive
2. Must be reliable (for an old car I know it's relative)
3. Must be able to handle A and B grade tracks

My wish list is really long and has all the little bits like dizzy, ignition, brakes etc but the 3 big ticket items are
1. V8 and auto
2. Wider track diffs
3. Bigger tyres

I am looking for a good base to build from or a car that has some or all of this stuff already done (preferably engineered) or else a base to build from. I like the wheelbase of the CJ6 as the length is great but parts are more scarce and they look worse with w soft top than a CJ7. I am not interested in a CJ5 as they are too short and narrow for my liking. A CJ8 would be great particularly in wide track but hard to get.

Anyone know a Jeep available that fits the bill and is available???

Assuming I have to build one I have been making some calls and doing some research.

I have been researching and also had preliminary talks with a couple of VAS engineers in Vic.

The V8 swap sounds surprisingly easy. I am thinking a 5L VN engine with a TH700. They seem cheap ( I have seen various complete cars for a few $k). They have the advantage of being fuel injected which I am extremely keen on as it goes towards reliability and better offroad IMHO but they don't have all the complex computers etc. I feel the AMC engines are too heavy, not fuel injected and harder to get parts for. What are people's thoughts?

The diffs I don't know what to do. I want a wider track. Rear discs would be great also. I don't mind replacing transfer case if I have to. What are people's thoughts on the best options? FSJs, d60s or something else. Where is the best place to get these from? The engineers also say no issue with a wider track so long as I don't mess with them i.e. No cutting etc.

The other related issue with diffs is being able to run bigger tyres. Ideally 34s or 35s but may settle on 33s. This seems to be the biggest problem as both engineers have said they can't certify 35s because it is bigger than 75mm total lift regardless of lane change being past. The only way to go bigger is if the car that the replacement diffs come from came with a larger tyre then I effectively increase the base I can add the 75mm. Not sure what diffs I could use to get me to 35s.

Anyway bit of an essay but would be great if some of the CJ gurus could give me their thoughts and even better the benefit or their invaluable experience.

Cheers

Last edited by scruff; 19-03-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 19-03-2016
Established Member

Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

CJ8, bommodore 5.7/4L60e, 3:53, 33/12.5/15, 4" lift oughta do ya. That's how I'll see mine one day.
Old 19-03-2016
Established Member

What diffs you going to run Gazzo?
Old 19-03-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

The chassis and suspension is different between CJ6's and 5's compared to 7's and 8's,
I have a cj6 it flexes fairly well with flat ish springs and a spring over, if I was doing it over I would use narrow track FSJ diffs, (so I could run 33's) YJ springs, or others, just longer and wider and maybe outboard the rear springs

There are other issues with the early CJ's steering needs to be sorted......
Old 19-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts

I run Dana 44's from an international scout in mine cj7, couple going cheap on gumtree now. Same wheel pattern as cj and wider but still covered by off the shelf flares, t700 auto great combo I run one with my 350 chev.
Old 19-03-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default cj8

I sent you a pm regarding a cj
Old 19-03-2016
Established Member

Thanks all.
Shafus do you have a mod plate for the tyres?
OkA4wd replied to your pm

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply