Removing transfer box gear knob - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 567 Times in 291 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Removing transfer box gear knob

Hi Guys

It's a MY12 3.8 ltr, the manual says just pull it up. Just how much force do you need or is there a trick to taking the gear knob off

The O'Drive button is stuck and not working and that is on the consul next to the gear lever

Bob
Old 02-07-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

On the MY17 it takes quite a bit of force. From memory I had to twist the knob left and right while pulling it up.

I watched a video on YouTube on how to do it, so a quick search on there should yield results!
Old 02-07-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

MY12 was 3.6 Pentastar. 3.8 was only upto Model Year 11. Yours may have been registered in '12, which is different.

When you are pulling on it, just be careful that you don't accidentally punch yourself silly when it lets go.
Old 05-07-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Move the seats back. Get a good grip on it. And tug. Hard!!! Just pull. No need to twist or otherwise play with it.
Old 06-07-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Here's a guy who is installing a B&M shifter from that thread. The video is queued up to where he is removing the knobs from the gearstick & transfer case lever.

https://youtu.be/kuKhtQ0sdy8?t=135
Old 08-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 567 Times in 291 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Guys

Brute force with the transfer box gear knob, easier in neutral, and lever the bottom trim down off the gearstick knob so it releases it's grip and again pull up

Anyway pulled up the console and took the white top off the gear shift, removed the O/drive button. If you look at the sides and push in the barbs you can remove the actual button to clean properly. It also appears any liquid will not worry the electrics as it will go past the button, down and out the bottom of the switch where there is drain holes. the contact is raised up from the bottom and shrouded inside the button

The button and where it slides was rough from sand and dirt and needed scraping clean, I also stretched the spring a bit. there is a limit to how far down the button goes so force-ably pushing it does not cause it to stick, only it's location where it's prone to dirt etc

Might help some one

Bob
Old 03-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts

Extreme force worked for me, I think I used something like vise grips to help get a better hold on it, it feels like it is never coming off until it does
Post New Thread  Reply