Which oil filter would you use and recommend? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-11-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts
Default Which oil filter would you use and recommend?

I have been using the trusty Mopar engine oil filter since day dot.

My oil has always been clean between service intervals since I throw these things out every 10,000 kms with every oil change. The car has 340K on the odo and it has been worked hard and in harsh environments.

What is your experience with oil filters? Should I not bother with Mopar anymore?

Stealers will sell the XJ compatible Mopar filter at the Recommended Rip [Off] Price of $33 [bulk purchase]. K&N is around $26, Ryco comes a distant third with an RRP of around $20. Apparently they are no longer Australian made and some owners are put off that they are made in China [like almost everything else]. Even so, they could be made under strict specifications. Repco trails close behind at $18.

Is there anything about the Mopar oil filter that sets it that far apart from the nearest rival? I am prepared to keep paying a premium if it is worth it. So far, I have not had cause to complain....

Last edited by eksjay; 13-11-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 13-11-2018
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default Which oil filter would you use and recommend?

I’ve been using the Z9 (Falcon 6 cylinder) filter for a long time, larger capacity, straight fit, much cheaper and easy to find in stock everywhere.

Haven’t ever had a problem with Ryco, you could probably find their premium Z9 cheaper than the Mopar and they often go on special so I buy a couple. Current price for the Ryco Z9ST Synthetic at Supercheap Auto is $20.58, $10.38 for the basic Z9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-11-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Z9 works for me every 5000k
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 14-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
Z9 works for me every 5000k
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
So you replace your oil every 5k, or just the oil filter? Would you ever leave the z9 bolted on for 10k?
Old 15-11-2018
I just registered

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Good tip re: Z9. I used Mopar with my last XJ but this time Ryco Z89A (?) - the one recommended for XJ by Ryco. The first one leaked at the gasket, first time ever I've seen that. Anyway I've just replaced it with another Z89A yesterday. Fingers crossed it doesn't leak. The Z89A is about $19 at Supercheap so a Z9 looks the go next time.
Old 15-11-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

I use a Z9 as well cheaper and z9 is physically significantly larger than the Z89A. I Cange oil and filter every 10K.
there is also the wesfill alternative WZ9.
I recently discovered these tools, just so easy!:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ryco-Spi...2/253112378146

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15-Flute...o/153072583115
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 30-11-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

the Ryco Z89 is a shorter version of the Z9 and has the same specs regarding filtration such as flow rates, micron, beta ratio etc. but being longer by about 40mm fitting maybe difficult in some circumstances because some 4.0 engines have a diffrent mount for the filter

a Z9 is commonly used on several vehicles especially Fords and can usually be sourced for less $10 from places like supercrap when on special

for my Wrangler the last Mopar filter was when the vehicle was brand new.

since then I've used mostly Ryco but have also used Purolator, Fram, Nippondenso but lately I've been using WIX 51515 that I've been bulk buying along with other vehicle filters from https://www.filtermax.com.au/ as they are cheaper. I replace every 5000 kilometres along with oil

WIX 51515 is equivalent to a Z9
WIX 51085 is equiv Z89

they are mostly USA made and are often the OEM maker for Mopar and many others
Post New Thread  Reply