**NEW Aftermarket JK Radiator Fan!!** - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-04-2009
Mud bucket

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default **NEW Aftermarket JK Radiator Fan!!**

Okay guys, like I've mentioned in other threads I was yet another victim of the dreaded stock JK fan failing. Doesn't take much to fail this fan as it is not a sealed unit. Last time I took the JK out, those of you who tagged along will recall me going through little mud puddles - but was enough to temporarily kill my stock fan.

I did a bit of research, and thanks to Craig from CM Auto Air, Slacks Creek (Brisbane) - who helped me source and replace the stock fan. Below are some details and pics.

New fan is a Rebadged "SPAL" fan from the US (AD AIR Fans)

Universal 16" Fan for the Radiator, perfect fit for the JK (same size as stock fan)
Completely sealed, no water / mud can get into the motor of the fan
Same shroud blade design, but more blades - draws a lot more air! It's a universal fan so you can switch it between a push/pull configuration
Has fitted same fan in comp tough trucks that constantly drive these things through mud and water
2-speed fan, same as stock fan

- Removed stock fan
- Install spacer supplied with new fan (had to cut down the spacer supplied with the fan, was a little too deep)
- Screwed three new holes in the stock JK housing for old fan
- shortened the wires on the new fan, connected to the same plug fitted on the original fan
- tested operation thoroughly, with no air-con on - ensuring fan operated when idling
- tested with air-con on (both speeds work as expected)

Not much else I can say about a bloody fan apart from the fact it works, it workes better (draws more air), and will be much more reliable than the stock JK fan.

Easy job, and highly recommended for anyone wheeling their JK (off the road).
For details (Brisbane Locals) on sourcing a new fan and getting it professionally installed, PM me - as usual support local business guys!

Old Fan

New Fan

New Fan Installed

FURTHER UPDATE (25/04/09) - This Fan not compatible with the CRD
For the locals in Brisbane still interested in replacing the Electric Fan in the CRD, I still suggest a visit to Craig (or any other decent Radiator Shop) and source a replacement if the CRD version has the same issue (not sealed)

Group Buy List (PM me for corrections/additions to the list):

JK07
PhilCJ10
vosey
wranglertj
JKohn
Brettski
Simsy
acuriouskind

Last edited by Mojotec; 25-04-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 18-04-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice work Mojo
Old 18-04-2009
Mud bucket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks! Not so paranoid about driving through mud/water now. Should also add that because this fan draws much more air, the air-con runs cooler too!
Old 18-04-2009
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice work Mojo
awesome and very good information. I think this thread should be rated 5 star. I will PM you for details

cheeers
Old 18-04-2009
Mud bucket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks JK07.

Yep, I definitely recommend every JK owner have the fan replaced (if you take it off road). Last thing you want is the fan failing on you in the middle of the bush.
Old 18-04-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is this for the petrol or the diesel
Old 18-04-2009
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

its for petrol but i am pretty sure diesel are exactly the same