Anderson plug - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have just finished wiring 2 Anderson plugs for my new van. As it is an off-roader my local tow bar installers advice was not to use a 12 pin but stick with the seven pin and run the andersons separately; which I did. Firstly, toprovide power for the Alko ESC, I ran 6B&S cable from the battery with a 30amp fuse to the positive under the carpet and the b-pillar and door trim and came out in the side of the spare wheel well. I removed the spare wheel and the tie down screws at the tailgate and removed that trim and the mat under the spare to access the grommet to drill through to get the cable under the car and to the rear bumper where I screwed the red Anderson inside a weather resistant housing to the underside of the bumper on the opposite side to the 7 pin socket. Similarly, to power the caravan fridge during transits I ran a second 6B&S cable pair with another fuse and another Anderson plug from my second battery (which I sit behind the front passenger seat when I am touring and was already connected thru a Projecta dcdc charger to power the car fridge when I need it) This cable runs under the rear seat and into the spare wheel well on the passenger side and feeds thru the same grommet and is fixed next to the 7 pin socket; again in a weather resistant housing and a black Anderson plug in this case. For these longer runs you need the heavy cable to minimise voltage drop. It all works well. I bought all the Anderson plugs, covers, fuses and cable from Big Al on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17-11-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso View Post
$250.00 sounds pretty cheap so worth checking what you are getting!

Yep, a lot of Auto Elecs have no idea of what we need in the way of power to a van etc. I don't know the wire size designations but mine is 5mm diameter wired to the Battery Positive and Negative terminals via a Voltage sensitive relay and circuit breaker. I have a knowledgeable Auto Elec nearby and all up it took him about an hour to run the cable etc.
Waiting on a call back from the Jeep service guys but will explain in detail what I'm after. Out of interest I asked ARB for a price on this when I was inquiring about bull bars and they told me it is $350 for any vehicle but cannot do it till January, to fit a rear Anderson plug. I'm pretty sure the Jeep service guys have done a few of these so hopefully they know what they are doing, its a very large dealership.
Old 18-11-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Hoppy just bear in mind that there's a few wire gauges between 12 volts being present at the rear of the car and a full 12 volts being present at the van fridge whilst under load.

If you are planning to charge a battery via the same circuit, disappointment is on the horizon. Why not outline the van requirements / equipment for some advice from the group? The tales of poor 3 way fridge performance on 12 volts are endless... and every one of them ends up being a lesson in voltage drop [emoji6]

Cheers, Steve
Old 29-12-2017
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to both Jeep ownership and the forum, so since I have L plates on, I apologise in advance for my elementary question!

Just acquired a nice low km 2013 Laredo diesel for towing my van (previously hauled with a Territory). Have had a new towbar and socket for lights etc. just fitted, but I also need Anderson plugs for the ESC and fridge and thinking I might do this myself although I intend getting the brake controller professionally installed.

My question is about the battery location. I know it's under the front pax seat but when I lift the cover all I see is a weird black plastic molding with a couple of visible multi pin connectors, nothing that looks like a battery. Before I attempt to delve under the plastic thing, can someone please tell me how the battery and its terminals should be accessed?

I'll probably just use the remote under-bonnet terminals to connect the Andersons, but the battery situation has me intrigued, and one day it's bound to need changing or accessing for some other reason.
Old 29-12-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum. Have a look under the drivers seat, the battery is there.
Old 29-12-2017
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA1LHAWK View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. Have a look under the drivers seat, the battery is there.
Thank you. Well there you go, I said it was an elementary Q! Everything I've read refers to passenger seat, but I guess that applies to LHD!!
Old 30-12-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

I just installed a 7 pin/Anderson plug double adapter to replace the existing Jeep 7pin and the badly placed Anderson plug that was just screwed into the plastic bumper. You can see the two holes where it was, lazy installation Jeep!
All good now, nice and tidy. 😊