the dreaded can of worms - which tyre - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Question Polls
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

At 50,000km, I'm very happy with my Cooper ST MAXXS, 285 / 70 R17.
Pretty expensive tyre, but my choice was made around the use of the vehicle, therefore, a high quality tyre rated at 50/50 was a pretty straight forward choice.
My Jeep is not used as a daily driver, but it still requires a performance on road tyre to reach off road destinations.
I can't see much point in having really aggressive tyres which have to travel 2000 km to reach 200 km of dirt or whatever.
Once off road, it more than satisfies my needs both in performance and durability. It holds its own against other more aggressive tyres.
The downside is the cost and the need to lower the pressures more than other tyres to negate soft sand etc.
I have luckily not needed to use the spare so when it comes to tyre replacement, I will only need to purchase 3 of them and keep 2 for spares. I have 2 spare wheels.

Last edited by Wazza D; 07-08-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Couple of typos
Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

great feedback - thanks keep it coming

open to other suggestions in a 285 70 17 but am trying to keep the budget reasonable.

also while we do use the jku for touring and as part of this towing the camper trailer, we do not do the deep mud/rutts etc. so i like the comments re: a 50/50
Old 08-08-2015
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
great feedback - thanks keep it coming

open to other suggestions in a 285 70 17 but am trying to keep the budget reasonable.

also while we do use the jku for touring and as part of this towing the camper trailer, we do not do the deep mud/rutts etc. so i like the comments re: a 50/50
In that case i would get all terrains, definitely. Big knobbly tyres on long drives on tarmac will give you a chronic headache and poor grip and handling, especially in the wet. An all terrain in any mainstream brand will be good. I choose comfort and quietness over mileage because I reckon old tyres get hard and brittle and lose their grip, even if they do look like they still have heaps of tread. Duratracs are highly regarded but they seem closer to a muddy than an a/t. My personal opinion is that very knobbly tyres are dangerous for consistent road use. They look mint but could put you in a dangerous situation on a wet road at speed.
Old 08-10-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

So the new tires are on. Settled on the Kelly Safari TSR mainly due to price ($1800 inc fitting, balancing & wheel alignment).

Would have taken SeaComms advice re the duratracs, but when i was ready to pull the pin they hand jumped upto $450 each ($2250 for 5)

If they were the same price, would have been a flip of the coin

Anyway a few before and after photos & measurements comparison

Ps i also have a aev 2.5 lift

sent from a clown with a jeep and phat fingers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444298329475.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	72596   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444298351346.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	72597   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444298370757.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	72598   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444298394056.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	72599   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444298411876.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	72600  

Old 31-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
So the new tires are on. Settled on the Kelly Safari TSR mainly due to price ($1800 inc fitting, balancing & wheel alignment).

Would have taken SeaComms advice re the duratracs, but when i was ready to pull the pin they hand jumped upto $450 each ($2250 for 5)

If they were the same price, would have been a flip of the coin

Anyway a few before and after photos & measurements comparison

Ps i also have a aev 2.5 lift

sent from a clown with a jeep and phat fingers
Good choice mate!

I would have highly recommended the Wrangler Duratracs too given my experience with them on my WJ, but what you will actually find is that the Kelly TSR's are essentially the same tyre with a different tread and side lug pattern. They are made in the same factory as the Duratracs and apparently run the same compound, so there would be bugger all difference.

If they are even anything close to the Duratrac in quality then you will be happy! I sold my WJ after putting close to 50,000km on them and they were still at 10-11mm of tread depth and stuck like shit to a blanket...
Old 31-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
In that case i would get all terrains, definitely. Big knobbly tyres on long drives on tarmac will give you a chronic headache and poor grip and handling, especially in the wet. An all terrain in any mainstream brand will be good. I choose comfort and quietness over mileage because I reckon old tyres get hard and brittle and lose their grip, even if they do look like they still have heaps of tread. Duratracs are highly regarded but they seem closer to a muddy than an a/t. My personal opinion is that very knobbly tyres are dangerous for consistent road use. They look mint but could put you in a dangerous situation on a wet road at speed.
Sorry Anthony, but I have to debunk a few of your theories on the Duratracs here....

Firstly, they are considered an all-terrain tyre and are not a muddy. Whilst what you said may be correct for true mud tyres, the opposite is the case for the Duratrac. The ones I had on my WJ were quieter, had way more grip in the wet and dry and rode much nicer at road pressures (40PSI) than the previous BFG A/T KO's that they replaced, whether that was general driving around unloaded or touring whilst towing my 1.5T camper trailer. They are just an exceptional all-round tyre that I find would be very hard to beat.

Whilst I mostly agree with your comment regarding the mileage vs age and hardness of the tyre compound, my Duratracs were still very soft and grippy in the wet (tarmac driving) after over 3 years and almost 50,000km. And the beauty of slow-wearing tyres is that you get to maintain a decent tread depth up until the point that you replace them, rather than trying to squeeze another couple of 4WD trips out of a set of baldies and getting stuck.

If you ever get a chance, try a set out. I think you would be pleasantly surprised. I plan to put some on my Commander when my GY Wrangler Silent Armors wear out.
Old 11-11-2015
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Fair enough, Hanna. By the sounds of it you work the tyres a little harder than the average punter given the towing weight you have. Good to hear that this is a case where you do actually get what you pay for.
Post New Thread  Reply