AC compressor failed - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

So, the independent black lighted the engine bay with me - we couldn't see any evidence of a leak - which is pretty frustrating. Would you still expect to see this across the engine bay?
Old 16-11-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yep, especially if the A/C had been running & still had refrigerant gas with dye trace still in the system.
Old 02-01-2019
Jeepin' is incurable....

Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

This is a known problem. It cracks on the mount down the passenger side and the only way the dye can be seen is if the car is in the half dark (ie inside the workshop not out in the daylight) and usually only from underneath not up top. Don't get a FCA replacement, it will do the same thing again (mine failed twice in 5 years!). The third party ones are strengthened in that spot if you get a good brand. Whole front clip comes off and should cost you less than $1K all up.
Old 02-01-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

Concur with Bomber, just had my AC condenser replaced (2012 Laredo diesel) by Supreme Car Air https://www.yellowpages.com.au/nsw/l...7-listing.html

Total cost was $720 and the aircon has never worked as well as it does now!

Alex knew exactly where to look, suspected that the condenser may be leaking but couldn't find any evidence of leak detector. He regassed the system and added some leak detector in the process. I booked in anyway to have the condenser replaced on his recommendation and after looking at the one out of another Grand Cherokee he had on the bench (he does a lot of them for a local dealer). On my return a week later he showed me the leak. High quality people and service.
Old 30-11-2019

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Okay, I don't know much about cars, but I do want to learn. Hope the collective wisdom can set me on the right path

In the last week, I noticed a tiny trickle of 'coolant' and seems to be gathering around the isolator at the bottom of the radiator passenger side. About the same time a strange noise started, sounded like it was coming from the dash, and now the air con seems to be ineffective

Spent some time slowly pulling the lower air dam and other bits off the front to take a look. There is a stain on the radiator in front of the main radiator . Is this the condensor. The stain is at the bottom passenger side - see pic (stain behind hoses for transmission cooler?) If this is the condensor, does it use coolant, could the green fluidbe coming from here ?

Wondering if the leaking greenfluid and aircon are the same or different problems ?

Others have used non genuine condensors, if I need one, any idea of brand ? My mechanic will most likely just use standard Jeep parts if not suggested otherwise.

Booked in for Thursday to have air and leaked checked. Trying to get a head start so I can better grasp the problem and solution.
Pics seem to all be rotated 90deg anticlockwise !!

Stain on condensor ?

Possible leak from here

Green fluid collects here

Appreciate any advise. Thanks Steve
Old 01-12-2019
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

AC leak usually leaves an oily trace but never noticed them dripping, not sure about colour unless its already had a dye in it though but for AC problems always use an Auto AC workshop not your general mechanic.

Could be a small coolant leak a pressure test on the cooling system would tell you or just a big clean up of the area and then check again after a engine run to find the spot that weeps. You could have 2 problems.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply