WK2 rear tyre carrier - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: What type of tyre carrier for the WK2 Grand Cherokee
Just a tyre carrier that involved cutting a hole thru the bumper. 3 5.45%
Traditional replacement steel bumper with option for 1 or 2 swing outs. 42 76.36%
Tyre carrier that has a protection tube wrapping around the existing bumper 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I've been looking at this as an option:

http://www.avenger4x4.com.au/product...ilco#!lightbox[subgroup]/1/

Only problem with that one mate is it takes away the use of the towbar. Other than that not a bad design.
Old 22-10-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccie-ar View Post
there is a new pic on their website : http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/wk2-rear-tyre-carrier/

When i emailed them i got this response " I’m hoping to have the prototype on a vehicle by the end of the year and production ready in February."
I wonder if it will accommodate the rear sensors??
Old 22-10-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hmmm...The way I read it is that it has an extended hitch receiver rated at 3400kg for towing.

Quote:
This product meets the requirements for a SAE Class IV coupling classification. Max. vertical tongue weight of this product is 750 lbs. Maximum towing weight attached to this product is 7500lbs (3400kg).

This pic isn't the greatest but shows the hitch extension...Better to go to their site and look at the photo slider.

Last edited by Wanderer; 22-10-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 22-10-2014
Established Member

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I do like the look of this. Especially because it can be taken off when not going on long trips

The only real thing that concerns me is the auto tailgate. I'd hope there would be some padding on the frame to stop scratches and the like.

Other than that, it's a pretty good solution. Also means you don't have to fork out for custom roof racks such as gobi/uneek/rockyroad

But it is $1200~ so it probably equals itself out i suppose.
Old 22-10-2014
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

This is the reply I had from 4WD World re TireGate (aka HitchGate Series)

Quote:
We can supply the TireGate swing-away spare wheel carrier.

It mounts to your Hayman Reese (or vehicle genuine) towbar in minutes.

It is priced at $1,425 delivered approx and includes a number plate relocation kit.

This has the following features:

· Still enables you to tow whilst fitted.

· It opens wide to allow full access to the vehicle's cargo space

· This tough universal tyre carrier allows you to carry up to a 40" spare tyre while maintaining the vehicle's ground clearance, cargo space, and minimal change to your departure angles

· Simply slides directly into your 2" tow receiver

· Just tighten the exclusive "Wedge Lock" draw bolt, install your hitch cross pin and you're ready to go!

· Powder coated with black polyester semi-gloss and is equipped with zinc plated hardware for long lasting performance in extreme conditions

· Made in the USA

See http://www.4wdworld.com.au/Tire-Gate...te-Series.html

NOTE:

To make sure this unit will fit your vehicle, you need a 2” square tow receiver / “Reece Hitch” style tow bar.

The insert locator pin hole of the receiver needs to be no more than 85mm in under the outer edge of the bumper.

We have just received a shipment of these carriers which swing to the left (i.e. made for the Australian market). We have limited stock available.
Old 22-10-2014
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

I've asked them about the Formula Offroad Swing-away Tyre Carrier and this is their reply.
Quote:
We can supply the spare wheel carrier to suit your vehicle.

They feature:

1 hour bolt on (no drilling)
Friction free roller bearings
Easy over locking clamp
Monotube construction
Positive open safety catch
Rego plate and lamp mounting
Meets ADR No. 06/00 (tail lamp visibility)
These units are priced at $1200 ex Sydney.

NOTE: For the WK2 there may be some trimming to the rear bumper may be needed.

Here is a link to the page on our site which shows this unit fitted

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/Spare-Whe...-Cherokee.html
Old 22-03-2015
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

In case you guys missed the Facebook post

Can't wait for it to go into production