Quick thank you and possible heads up - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

The 'salt mines' and owner use 'bled' that battery dry...cant blame a product I 'abused'...old enough and 'kinda' smart enuf to accept the blame.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 1 Week Ago
Rock Munki

Back from the 'adventure'...jumped in h'hoping' it would miraculously start...nope....off to Auto Store to get the 'stores worker' recommended 'alternative' battery...nope...its a 'wet cell'....cant put that under the seat...AGM arrives Friday...fit it and away again for the weekend....'salt mines' Monday....bought a fuel pump for the old Rangie from my supplier at Redcliffe whilst on the 'adventure' so more work at hand to get the 'fishing bus' mobile again...picked up my camper trailer from the van yard in Adelaide on the way home....been there for almost 2yrs on consignment...so I'll go over it n tidy it up a bit...batteries are DEAD flat and wont even get the powerboard to 'wake up' with 240v plugged in so more work there as well....plenty of 'backyard engineering' ahead....
Adventure was awesome and had the opportunity to experience 'life as a toymotor' owner/driver....PRADO diesel with 140k on clock..nowhere near as comfortable as a Grand and zero comparison in the 'get up n go' bracket...also met a few 300 series owners that are none to pleased with their new purchase....safety feature makes reversing to 'hook up' a nightmare...gearboxes 'hunt' all day when towing and provide 'clunky' changes and the V8 Diesels are returning 40l/100 when hitched to a large van....3 of the 5 fellas I spoke with had theirs back to the Dealers for gearbox issues n 2 had had new boxes fitted...'common fault/complaint' apparently....new cars...not 2nd hand....$150k+....not less than $30k....ummmm.....reckon I'll see how a new box in my 23k car goes n throw the fuel pump in the Rangie...well...cut a hole in the rear floor to remove and replace the intank fuel pump then seal the floor back up...fringing engineers seriously...what do they smoke ??? ....for a beach/bush bus n be happy to have $110+k in my pocket.....jus sayin.....recommendation for any out there 'looking' at a Prado...dont tow anything over 2t n DONT attempt to overtake anything unless you have experience driving either a VW Kombi or an Old Volvo Truck...only those with experience will get that....ummmm....cant 'really' give details but what my Grand does in 3rd gear (5spd) tops out the Prado in 6th....not a real 'quick/or fast' bus n bugger all torque too boot....good cruise control and better vision with less 'blind spots' from the 'A' pillar....bigger fuel tank giving better range(but 1000k is enough for me)...a bit better fuel figures but read the pefformance comments...CANT have both n Im happy with 8-9's unhitched n 14-16's hitched (3t+ish).....sooooo......next one wont be a Prado or 300 series.
End Adventure Report.

Last edited by FARWEST; 1 Week Ago at 07:26 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 830 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Back from the 'adventure'...jumped in h'hoping' it would miraculously start...nope....off to Auto Store to get the 'stores worker' recommended 'alternative' battery...nope...its a 'wet cell'....cant put that under the seat...AGM arrives Friday...fit it and away again for the weekend....'salt mines' Monday....bought a fuel pump for the old Rangie from my supplier at Redcliffe whilst on the 'adventure' so more work at hand to get the 'fishing bus' mobile again...picked up my camper trailer from the van yard in Adelaide on the way home....been there for almost 2yrs on consignment...so I'll go over it n tidy it up a bit...batteries are DEAD flat and wont even get the powerboard to 'wake up' with 240v plugged in so more work there as well....plenty of 'backyard engineering' ahead....
Adventure was awesome and had the opportunity to experience 'life as a toymotor' owner/driver....PRADO diesel with 140k on clock..nowhere near as comfortable as a Grand and zero comparison in the 'get up n go' bracket...also met a few 300 series owners that are none to pleased with their new purchase....safety feature makes reversing to 'hook up' a nightmare...gearboxes 'hunt' all day when towing and provide 'clunky' changes and the V8 Diesels are returning 40l/100 when hitched to a large van....3 of the 5 fellas I spoke with had theirs back to the Dealers for gearbox issues n 2 had had new boxes fitted...'common fault/complaint' apparently....new cars...not 2nd hand....$150k+....not less than $30k....ummmm.....reckon I'll see how a new box in my 23k car goes n throw the fuel pump in the Rangie...well...cut a hole in the rear floor to remove and replace the intank fuel pump then seal the floor back up...fringing engineers seriously...what do they smoke ??? ....for a beach/bush bus n be happy to have $110+k in my pocket.....jus sayin.....recommendation for any out there 'looking' at a Prado...dont tow anything over 2t n DONT attempt to overtake anything unless you have experience driving either a VW Kombi or an Old Volvo Truck...only those with experience will get that....ummmm....cant 'really' give details but what my Grand does in 3rd gear (5spd) tops out the Prado in 6th....not a real 'quick/or fast' bus n bugger all torque too boot....good cruise control and better vision with less 'blind spots' from the 'A' pillar....bigger fuel tank giving better range(but 1000k is enough for me)...a bit better fuel figures but read the pefformance comments...CANT have both n Im happy with 8-9's unhitched n 14-16's hitched (3t+ish).....sooooo......next one wont be a Prado or 300 series.
End Adventure Report.

You are 100% correct re Prado! My mate got a new one three years ago We both had the same Jayco 17.58 Outback poptops,his Prado would hunt up and down constantly looking for a gear! Drove his with the van on the back,geez it was gutless compared to the GC !
Old 1 Week Ago
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,926 Times in 2,318 Posts

Loved the bit about the Kombi, now thats a scary thing, overtaking in one for sure, great run down on your trip, had a smile on the dial ......................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 1 Week Ago
MonsterMoose

This is the battery I fitted to the Jeeperific last year, its a stop/start unit which can take a bigger flogging than a normal cranker.......

EXIDE EVOLUTION STOP START BATTERY SSAGM-88EU
https://cometbattery.com.au/product/...ry-ssagm-88eu/

Old 1 Week Ago
Rock Munki

Cheers mate....just ordered whatever brand the Auto Store stocked...Super Charge I reckon is their supplier....same as whats already in it.
The 'hunting' of gears reference was for the 300 series !!!!.....geeeeezus....you would reckon with the size of engine and output that wouldnt be happening...anywayz.....the Prado I locked into 5th gear manually when I hooked up my 2t trailer and it did pull 5th 'now and again'.....6 spd box...was never gonna see 6th on the dash.....so majority of run from Adelaide home was 4th gear...around 2200rpm....but....had to overtake twice and the total lack of power was glowingly apparent....first time downhill and ol mate decided he'd give me a run for my money....'crept' to $1.20 and that was about all the Prado would give me when hitched up....created some 'back seat' chatter as the bride and mother-inlaw were attempting to drive from those seats...father-inlaw in the passenger seat requested a stop to 'chat' with ol mate...request denied....200klm later we encountered two 'vanners' travelling together but neither left enough space between the two vehicles to allow 'safe' passing...turds....I ...ummmm....'persuaded' the rear vanner to let me in when a 'big one' rounded a bend 500m ahead of us and the Prado was NO chance of gathering and passing the lead vanner....sideline: isnt it friggin amazing just how many vehicles you 'catch' when locked in at your comfortable speed, then speed up when you 'attempt' to go round them...f#n d##$#ds...sooo....my attempt at passing the lead vanner was met with more 'rear seat' chatter and much 'window gesturing' from the passenger seat when the lead vanner decided to show me just how much more they had under the pedal when I pulled out to pass....now...I was 'locked in' around 95kph....caught them hand over fist BUT COULDNT get round them until $1.20 was showing....simple question for ALL Forum Members.....Why ????........flat ground...open highway...no 'cruise creep' or downhill 'over run' involved.....just pure stupidity.
I have zero issues with road users choosing to drive at whatever speed they feel comfortable with....its a Holiday ffs...NO rush unles you choose to and thats your decision....but...simple road user courtesy surely is lacking nowadays ????.....I would like a $1 for everytime I have either 'backed off', or even applied the brakes, to assist some one around me....Im not holding them up or judging their 'comfortable' speed...their choice....no animosity if you want to go round me...zero issues in fact...leaves me out of any disasters your involved in....make it easy n you shouldnt see me in your mirrors again after a few k's.....am I getting old ???

Last edited by FARWEST; 1 Week Ago at 10:09 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago
MonsterMoose

On the road at present and haven't come across any so far this trip thankfully, find most are on highways, if I do come across them I wait for the long hill and the Jeeperific does its stuff as they slow down I just ring on more revs and leave them in my mirror, I quite like 85/90 on the roads I travel but the rig is very stable at 120 or so ...... talk to a truckie and whistle him past get him out of the mirror............ no timetable so no need to rush, especially with a Yak on the roof,bluddy thing helps chew more fuel, staying at home next time, it can add about 2lt/100km in some cases I suspect.

Did you make sure it was an AGM as a lot of these listings have bluddy calcium batteries listed for the vehicle I found........

Post New Thread  Reply