gees im getting old - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default gees im getting old

so ive had a couple of issues for a while now yeah yeah not those ones,
ones with my car grrr

it needs engine mounts and its been throwing codes for the left bank 02 sensors
ive reset them periodically over the months but im sure that no solution

so i got the car up on ramps and set to it removed under body guards and heat shields, remover the front end of the front drive shaft to get access, that took two hours.

i already had the 02 sensors and the appropriate removal tool and i could now reach both the sensor and the connector

wait for it don't rush me hahahah

BUT i could not budge the dam sensor tried to get a braker bar in there but not happening

so battered and bruised i spat the dum-dum cursed and put it all back together

rang 7slot at ormeau for a quote, gees why didn't i just do that in the beginning

so its booked in for bothLHS 02 sensors and engine mounts.

im done, im to old to be scrambling around under cars anymore,

from here on all ill do is oil changers and easy stuff, im going to simply pay in future for all the heavy lifting

macca
Old 06-04-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Yeah, as hard as it is to say stuff it and let someone else do it who has the necessary gear to do it in a fraction of the time, at least you still have the know how to get you out of strife should the need arise.
Old 06-04-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts

I was lucky at 16y.o. that my good mate at school had a dad who was a mechanic and speedway racer. Before we were allowed to do driving lessons he insisted that we learn the workings of a car. We helped dismantle motors, carburetors, brakes and gearboxes and so on. Then he taught us how to drive including sliding and defensive driving and emergency actions.
Old 07-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

I know where your coming from, I once had a nice high set of ramps off back of shed so I could walk under now the Jeep on jack stands just doesn't cut it, I'm too old and creaky for it, only the simple oil change now and after the last tranny change I'm thinking that might be a shop job..... Your lucky having a place like Seven Slot nearby, 3 hour drive for me .... We have 2 spanner men in town and Ive been told one runs his own Jeep and is good, might have to check him out.....
My Dad taught me a fair bit and never had money for mechanics, still don't... so I'm the main spanner man but creaky bones has caught up with me.
Army brother in law was an instructor, taught me defensive tactics along with a quick Fed Police course many years later and a few real life scenarious where I lived thru it all kept my driving skills in focus .... always some idiot up here during the holidays that I get to keep my evasive skills tuned up...........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-04-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

yep drover im with you, we are 2 hours from Ormeau but our daughter live 10 minutes away so it convenient for us, we can stay over at our daughters,

she can pick me up from the mechanic and drop me back, and my wife gets girl time with daughter and grand kids
Old 07-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,138 Times in 602 Posts

Yeah, I'll be visiting Todd and Anthony at 7 Slot myself in the next couple of weeks to do a "Logbook" service to maintain my Warranty.
Good blokes down there, I have no one near by so I usually laze upstairs in their lunch room while any work gets done...

I always have them carry out jobs on my Jeeps that are "too hard" for this old bloke as well...
Old 07-04-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Im a fan of getting/letting good mechanics/workshops to do the 'bigger' jobs...they can pick up on other 'issues' I may have missed doing the usual services...had a motor biult and fitted to my daily driver....told the workshop owner it had been running 'warmer' than I was accustomed to see on the gauges but thought that may just be the 'running' process or new cooling system components....wizard told me to bring it back....they were brizvegas based and I lived in the Wide Bay area.....trip was planned to travel to my now home base...6000klm round trip....'drop in on way through Pete' was the wizards call....sure enough the wizard was spot on the money....the 'newly appointed'(at the time my engine was fitted) mechanic had put the fan on backwards....."I told him to make sure that job was spot on as you are a long term customer and are a very important client ! (we worked together in our businesses)...I told him you drive em like their stolen and to make sure everything was spot on !...not good enough !"....he left and went to the workshop...MUCH yelling could be heard...he returned...."Jump in Pete....we'll go for coffee"....an offer I cant refuse.....chit chat, coffee and passerby viewing on the Esplanade was enjoyed....returned to the shop...."It'll be a bit longer Pete....we're giving it a full service for ya and just going over it"....smart arse I am had to say..."as long as nothing goes on backwards Im happy...long drive ahead of me"........'that wont happen....I sacked him....cant have our name soiled by a worker that was given full instruction and didnt listen...its our reputation he's playing with...lucky it was you and not some-one that knows nothing and kept driving it till it blew up and then sued us and shit canned our name...we have some very wealthy customers with no mechanical knowledge and deep pockets....sorry this happened and it wont happen again'.........geezus !......I drove off into the sunset with a fully serviced now beast of a machine and the mechanic got to 'expand his horizons'......those were definitely better days...real customer service...genuine care for the product that was being purchased....free repair of fk ups with added extras for the trouble...and...you could sack some one for being incompetent....business reputation meant a lot.....long story on wizards n workshop advantages

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Post New Thread  Reply