2008 Jeep Patriot - weird noises - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > MK Patriot
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2008 Jeep Patriot - weird noises

Hi everyone

so i drive a 2008 jeep patriot automatic transmission, I'm new to this forum but i will be posting up photos of my jeep soon, though my jeep has been having weird croaky noises everytime i turn right ? though the previous owner said the car will need new shock absorbers within the next 6 months , its already been 4 months , my car is on 105kms.

would anyone have a clue what it could be ?

i hope its nothing serious
Old 05-03-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts

U-joint or tierod, balljoint?
Old 05-03-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

If it's during a turn it's a universal joint or maybe ball joint. A tie rod not so much on turn. Those suckers are more likely to snap off before you notice any real issues, especially under load like turning.

Shocks tend to thud (bottom out) under load like pot holes or even reflective eye (thuddering) on the road if they are really bad. The continuing bouncing after pressing down on a side of a car is not a bad, if not crude, test of a shock. It should compress then bounce up and that is. Any more and it's rooted.

I am limited to most cars (19 years experience on the tools) but not 4x4's exclusively so check it out with a professional. I've seen what procrastination can do do the wallet, or worse, innocent other people and their cars etc.

My disclaimer is I've been off the tools for the past 10 years so yeah, maybe need some WD40. On me, not your noise

Try jacking it up and grabbing the tire and seeing if there is any joint movement when man handling the wheel in and out both horizontal and vertical. Loading up the ball joints and doing it again is another quick test but of you are unsure, just get it checked.
Old 05-03-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks cube for the reply and your time and consideration.

do you think this is a serious matter ? i drive a lot but don't think i have the cash to get it replaced or even go to the mechanic to get it checked out. what do you reckon the estimate price would be in sydney australia ? like I'm going to do a major or minor service very soon after i finish my studies in 1 month. until then I'm pretty much free

but the main issue is , is the a matter i need to get checked out asap ? can this lead to me driving in the streets and breaking down ??

thanks mate
Old 06-03-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Who knows and without seeing it advising is just dangerous really. Beg or borrow the money for a check. Maybe pop into a shock absorber place and say hey, I think my shock is stuffed can you check it and quote me a replacement. They might pinpoint the problem for you at no cost.

Kinda cheeky buy better than not knowing.
Post New Thread  Reply