NSW historic registration - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2017
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

In order for the vehicle to qualify you must be a member of an Approved Club. I can't get over you guys that want all the benefits of a club but can't be bothered choosing one and joining it. Why not put the horse before the car(t), get out there, join a club based on the required knowledge in that club and take it from there.

It might even mean you need to be a member of two clubs . I joined the Willys Overland Club after I discovered that my Jeepster had as much in common with WWII and earlier Willys cars than post 1948 Jeeps and the guys in it knew more about the engine and gearbox than the Jeep guys in MJOC. Car permit is through WOCV too.
Old 20-12-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

not sure who you mean when you say you guys, I am a member of the nsw jeep club inc as are my 2 sons, thats why I suggested he try there.
Old 22-12-2017
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKA4wd View Post
not sure who you mean when you say you guys, I am a member of the nsw jeep club inc as are my 2 sons, thats why I suggested he try there.
Not you then .
Old 25-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10a Rubicon View Post
Hello all, does anybody know the ins and outs of the nsw historic or classic registration scheme?
Is there any Jeep clubs in NSW that are involved?
Has anybody had any luck getting a slightly modified vehicle through?
My thoughts are building my 74 CJ6 with a 304, 258 or a 4.0L, t18 and J20 dIt’s worth keeping the old girl if I could do the above, have a capable old Jeep that I can use a few times a year, turn up to the Jamboree and not cost me a small fortune in registration every year.

Thanks, Cheers Danny
I have/had various vehicles on Club Rego...its excellent!! especially with new law changes that mean 60days unrestricted (log book) + various sanction events

The new schemes allow for basically 2 situations (generally)

* largely unmodified Historic Vehicles (depends on Club what is acceptable, but I would suggest ur unlikely to qualify)

* modified historic vehicles

(+30yrs)

SO..in your case, you would need to find an Approving Engineer to Certify your mods (consult with them before you start), and the appropriate paperwork from him, be it a pink or blue slip.
You MUST be a member of an Approved Club AND get the approval of THEIR own certifying official (he MUST stamp your papers for RTA), usually by providing him with a pink slip, and engineers cert in your case

The benefit is reg CTP & full insurance cost me ~$200pa per vehicle

Tip: Check if the Jeep Club/s allows modified vehicles, if not its best to join clubs that do not have extremely strict rules & officials.
There is always some great technical guys in these clubs. You would probably be looking at be Registered by a "modified" vehicle club, whilst generally are less strict, the vehicle must be legally roadworthy (to the satisfaction of the Club Official)...they are wary of "abusers" of the system

Last edited by awg; 25-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 26-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

The Jeep Club of NSW can certainly help you. As the President of the club, I have been involved with both the Historic and Classic registration schemes (HVS and CVS) and I agree with most of what has been posted so far. If you can get your modifications passed for full NSW rego and engineered, then they will qualify for the cheaper Classic registration. Additionally, in my view a CJ5 with a 304 is not a modified vehicle as it was a factory option so could be registered as a Historic vehicle.

Last edited by wee doggie; 26-12-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 26-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKA4wd View Post
so did you find out about modified vehicles being permissable for club rego as I believe a new rule came out about a year ago allowing it to accomodate owners of hotrods. I am doing a jeep with a 350 so I hope so, did you get any info off the nsw jeep club.
If you can get an engineer to ok the mods, then you will have no problem getting conditional registration under the Classic vehicle scheme. I have a 350 and T400 auto J10 engineered and registered under CVS.
Old 26-01-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for all your replies 👍
I’m still thinking things through but maybe a closer to stock build would be easier, 232 or 258, T18, Holbrook longleaf springs and some skinny 33’s.
I’ll definitely join a club or 2, I’m in Maitland NSW, what clubs are around that are for the old Jeeps and use there Jeeps for what they are best at?
wee doggie, sounds like your club is a good start, do you have many older Jeep’s in the club?

Thanks again, Cheers Danny
Post New Thread  Reply