2017 towbar recall?? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-03-2018
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi All, I have a March 2017 GC which has a Best Bar from NZ
Part Nr LA82210053 also have the rear tow hook left rear, all good no problems.
Old 31-03-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 567 Times in 291 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty05 View Post
Got my recall today

I have a trip planned in 8 days. 2500km round trip towing my boat. Accommodation paid for, all preparations done. Wiring fitted for the Waeco fridge as well. Like most people I have planned and spent money getting ready for this trip.

The ironic thing for me was that my Jeep (MY13) was rear ended last year and a new tow assembly was fitted. No rear ender and I wouldnt be about to shed tears.....

Does anyone have any experience getting a long term loan car from Jeep as a result of a recall?
So they haven't changed the back of the car, just the towbar design, (have you lost your rear recovery hook), can FCA do any thing right, I bet the towbar is cheaper. Says heaps about their quality commitment

Bob
Old 31-03-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Here is an email I got from Jeep. Check your junk as mine went to my promotions in my gmail. The pictures don’t copy across but you get the gist. Best look at the part number and cheek on your Jeep.

SAFETY NOTICE:
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY & ACT IMMEDIATELY
Dear: [Sir/Madam],

Re: [VIN: VIN]
Vehicle Make/Models Part No. - Genuine Mopar Tow Bars
(WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Limited, Overland LA82210140
(WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, SRT LA82210141
We are writing to you to advise you of an upcoming Safety Recall Campaign that affects your vehicle.
A Safety Recall Campaign is being launched by FCA Australia because a certain MOPAR Tow Bar Kit purchased for and/or fitted to your vehicle after 31 May 2017 (with either part number LA82210140 or LA82210141) has been identified with a potential safety concern in relation to fixings (bolts and washers) supplied with the kit, which may lose torque during towing. If the bolts and washers lose torque, the tow bar may become loose and/or detach from the vehicle, potentially posing an accident risk to the vehicle occupants or other road users.
How can I determine if my tow bar is affected by this Safety Recall Campaign?
To determine if your vehicle is fitted with an affected tow bar, you can perform a self-inspection by following the instructions below. If you have any difficulty identifying the part number for the tow bar fitted to your vehicle, please contact your local authorised Chrysler Jeep Dodge (CJD) dealer or FCA Australia Customer Care on 1300 133 079.
The concern will be rectified by an authorised CJD dealer at no cost to you. To do this, your dealer will inspect the tow bar fixings and replace them if necessary. However, the parts required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition are currently unavailable. FCA Australia is making every effort to obtain parts as quickly as possible.
In the meantime, we advise you to stop using the tow bar immediately. We will contact you again with a follow up letter as soon as the remedy parts are available.
Once you receive the follow up letter please contact your nearest authorised CJD dealership to schedule a service appointment. Please see the full list of authorised CJD dealers here.

Self inspection instructions:
The affected tow bar part numbers are LA82210140 or LA82210141.
To determine if your tow bar is affected by the Safety Recall Campaign, the tow bar can be inspected using the methods outlined below
Method 1 – Tow Bar Tongue Label
Affected tow bars part numbers LA82210140 or LA82210141 will be displayed on the tow bar tongue (as shown in Figures 1 and 2 below).
Tow bars with other part numbers are not affected by the recall.

Figure 1 – Label location Figure 2 – Part number location
Note: If the tow bar tongue is not fitted to the vehicle or the label is not clearly visible, there is another label which can be located on the underside of the tow bar (viewed from underneath the vehicle – as shown by the arrow in Figure 1 above).
Method 2 – Tow D Shackle Connection Points
Affected tow bars with part numbers LA82210140 or LA82210141 also have unique vertical D shackle connection points on the tow bar (refer to Figures 3 and 5 below).
LA82210140 – (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Limited and Overland models

Figure 3: Affected tow bars with part number LA82210140 are fitted with vertical D shackle
connection points.
Figure 4: Unaffected tow bars are fitted with horizontal D shackle connection points.
LA82210141 – (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and SRT models

Figure 5: Affected tow bars with part number LA82210141 are fitted with vertical D shackle
connection points. Note: The hitch receiver point
is also angled as shown.
Figure 6: Unaffected tow bars are fitted with horizontal D shackle connection points.
If you have any difficulty identifying the part number for the tow bar fitted to your vehicle,
please contact your local authorised Chrysler Jeep Dodge (CJD) dealer or FCA Australia Customer Care on 1300 133 079.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this recall may cause.

[emoji767] FCA Australia Pty. Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Jeep is a registered trademark of FCA US LLC. 437 Plummer Street, Port Melbourne, Victoria, 3207, Australia

Privacy Policy
FacebookInstagram
Unsubscribe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I believe it also affects the Trailhawks as well although they obviously forgot they even have that model. I got the letter with my VIN despite my model not being listed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 567 Times in 291 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenie77 View Post
I believe it also affects the Trailhawks as well although they obviously forgot they even have that model. I got the letter with my VIN despite my model not being listed.

Tell me they haven’t taken the rear recovery hook off the Trailhawk

Bob
Old 03-04-2018
Established Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
Tell me they haven’t taken the rear recovery hook off the Trailhawk

Bob

Yep gone, regardless of the model I believe

Old 07-04-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'm looking at buying a 2017 Laredo with 'adventure pack'. unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately it doesn't have a tow bar. The dealer said they can't fit a genuine towbar for 2 months and suggested I get a Hayman Reese one from ARB or someone like that.
I can't believe there is such a problem with the Mopar towbar over bolts, can't they just use different bolts or washers ?
Is there some other problem with the vehicle ?
And btw the car I'm looking at, built March 2017 has a rear recovery hook. The dealer says it also has front ones but they are not obvious.