Slanting headlight issue - Headlight bracket possibly the issue? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-07-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts

If you've bought them from a reputable retailer go and show them because it sounds like you've gotten a set for LHD vehicles.
Old 23-07-2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotrog View Post
If you've bought them from a reputable retailer go and show them because it sounds like you've gotten a set for LHD vehicles.
Hi Timbotrog,

I'm presuming you're referring to Left Hand Drive vehicles?

The J.W. Speaker packaging states that the Evolution J2 headlights that I own are LHT (Left Hand Traffic). RHT (Right Hand Traffic) being for America and other RHT countries. So I would presume I have the correctly allocated headlights for Australia traffic.

Do you think otherwise?
Old 08-09-2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys,

I finally had the opportunity this afternoon to further inspect my headlights brackets, which I suspected are causing my J.W. Speaker headlights to slant and the headlight assemblies to be loose. Both headlight brackets have some play in them, the right has what feels like a few millimetres play and the left feels like it has at least 5 millimetres (if not more) of play.

Irritatingly, I couldn't locate any damaged areas in or to do with the headlight brackets which could be causing the play in the headlights. However, I did notice a few interesting aspects regarding the headlight brackets. They could be normal (and most likely are) but I'm still interested in seeking some answers and explanations regarding the following parts.

The headlight brackets are inserted onto two white (I'll describe them as) pegs. One white peg in each headlight assembly. I discovered today the white pegs are connected to a white disk, similar in size to a coke-a-cola bottle lid with similar groves which I presume is to provide grip when being rotated. These white disks are at least 10 centermeters or more behind the white pegs with other platic componetary inbetween the pegs and the disks. I have two questions relating two these white disks. 1. What are these disks for/what purpose do they serve? I'm presuming they rotate for a reason? 2. If rotating these disks to the right, will this draw the white pegs in or backwards towards the driver and passenger, tightening the headlight brackets which are inserted onto the pegs and eliminating the play/movement of the headlight assemblies/brackets? See the first photo regarding the white pegs and white disks.

Virtually below the slots/holes that the pegs are inserted into are two more identical slots/holes. One slot/hole in each headlight bracket. I've been wondering if I'm missing two extra white pegs which would be mounted into the headlight assembly and inserted into the two extra slots/holes. Is this correct, should I have two extra pegs? They would provide added stability and you'll notice from my second and third photo that it does appear as though the two bottom extra pegs are missing? I could be wrong but again, what purpose do the extra slots/holes and mounting points provide?

Also, if anyone has some helpful advice regarding my overall issue, headlight assembly/headlight bracket play/movement, please provide me with some tips or information.

Annoyingly, my photos have been rotated again once I've uploaded them to this post. Does anyone know how to re-rotate them to so they are correctly displayed?

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	77787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	77788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	77789  
Old 08-09-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Those are the vertical adjustment knobs. They are on the back of the electric adjusters. You set the initial position with them when the switch is set to highest position, & then use the switch to lower them when there is a load or trailer causing the lights to point high.

The left / right adjustment is done via the torx screw on the front. The one that isn't used to hold the headlight in.
Old 08-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

The headlights typically have a bit of play on the adjustment actuator which develops over time. Most people don't noticed until they install LEDs. It's had to eliminate. You can try winding thin gauge wire around the ball (of the ball and cup socket) on the actuator to take out a bit of movement.

Follow us across Australia https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy...zG8C-c7zERG1Dw
Old 10-09-2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
The left / right adjustment is done via the torx screw on the front. The one that isn't used to hold the headlight in.
Are you sure you don't mean the opposite? That the torx screw adjusts the vertical aim of the headlights, not the horizontal (left/right) aim of the headlights.
Old 10-09-2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesio View Post
The headlights typically have a bit of play on the adjustment actuator which develops over time. Most people don't noticed until they install LEDs. It's had to eliminate. You can try winding thin gauge wire around the ball (of the ball and cup socket) on the actuator to take out a bit of movement.
I'm presuming that the adjustment actuator is the white disk and white peg I described?

My predominant issue is the play of the headlights, however, I'm not sure where the looseness/play of the headlight brackets is coming from, most pronounced. For instance the adjustment actuator. I'm fairly confident the adjustment actuator isn't rotating or moving itself, possible that the headlight bracket is moving/play on the white peg, that the headlight brackets have some horizontal backwards and forwards play/movement.

I've been wondering if I replace the headlight brackets, will the replacement brackets adhere/attach onto the adjustment actuators/white pegs tighter than the current stock headlight brackets due to the replacement brackets being new. Hopefully eliminating the play/movement.
Post New Thread  Reply