JK Wrangler good family outback tourer? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-04-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JK Wrangler good family outback tourer?

Hi All,

Well after 7yrs of working and living in the USA, its time for the family to return to Oz. Naturally one of the first tasks is acquiring a new set of wheels, and having been away from Oz for 7yrs Im a bit out of the loop with the current market.

We have 3 kids under 10, and am looking for a vehicle that can be both a daily driver, and capable of taking the clan outback touring. By outback touring I mean Flinders Rangers, Birdsville Track, Strezleki Track, Camerons Corner and even dreams of Far North Qld. These are trips Ive done on a dual sport bike and want to show the family the aussie outback!

Here are a few of my requirements:

**Room for 3 kids across the back seat (this is harder than I thought, as some have a VERY uncomfortable center seat where the rear fold down armrest is)

**Good economy for a 4wd (V8 petrols need not apply!)

**Off Road capable, as outlined above

**up to $50k new (my wife is leasing through her work and needs to be under $57k on the road)

I have looked at the 4dr Wrangler as they are sold over here in the USA, and they look like a lot of fun for the $$$.

Thoughts? Other Options?

Thanks guys
Old 15-04-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

I have an 07 Rubicon 4dr. and have clocked up 90000km with 40000km at least on touring duty. I have been to Cape York, across the Gulf to Darwin, to Broome and the Bungle Bungles, down the WA coast, across the Nullarbor 2 times, the Tanami Track twice, the Pilbara and the Great Central Road, the Kimberleys, Gibb River Road, Bourke and the Darling River, Flinders, Oodnadatta, Strezilecki, Birdsville track etc. and much more in between.

The JK works well as a tourer. It's a little noisy and doesn't like head winds and hills unless you work the gears. You could get a new Rubicon 4dr 3.8l petrol for about $50000 on the road. The rear seat is uncomfortable but would be OK for your small kids and the 10 year old. The standard tyres are really road tyres and while they wear well, they are not true all terrain tyres. The shocks and springs give a harsh ride and are not much good once weight goes to the maximum 330kg. I would get a 2 inch lift, fit some decent shocks (I have OME on mine and they work well) and put heavy duty springs on the rear plus airbags, particularly if you will be pulling a trailer. I have Polyair bags and (rear) HD Lovell springs and normal 2 inch lift Lovells up front and they work well.

A dual battery system is a must. I have fitted a DC-DC charger for set and forget hassle free system. Solenoids are old hat and don't really cut the mustard in my opinion. Get this work done properly by and auto elec.

I would go some good off road tyres - something like Toyo (Jap made, not the Chinese Bob Jane look-alike) or BFG or the new Armour Tek Goodyear Wranglers or whatever takes your fancy and your budget can afford - even try Yokohamas which I think are underrated as an offroad tyre.

I have not fitted a bullbar or rear bar. They add too much weight and unless you really want to spend $3000 all up to fit a winch, they are not really needed. Pulling a trailer and about 300kg load, I have been getting about 6km/litre @ 90km / hour which is better than a diesel equivalent and any petrol Toyota or Nissan i have come across in my travels. I hope this all helps.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 15-04-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 15-04-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

All the touring tracks you mention arent that difficult in reality. Remote yes, corrugated with some sand etc, but not really difficult.

With 3 kids the rear centre seat of a Patrol is no good, and you may find the rear of a JK squishy with 3.... I'd look at a diesel prado. Roomy, reliable, economical and 180l fuel tank as standard. And the wife can daily drive it easily.

The JK has average (at best) rear loading area, and difficult and expensive to get a roof rack, even then has below average load capacity on it.

JK's are good offroad, but average at best as tourers, they arent designed for it, especially for a family of 5.
Old 15-04-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would agree, I love jeeps and I'd love to say that they'd be good tourers but really when you look at the way they are set up they will never be in the same league as a Patrol or Landcruiser, sad but true - those trucks are built for touring while wranglers are not. Grand Cherokee could be an option though...
Old 15-04-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I agree also. The Wrangler is an all out fun weekend machine. Parts, ride comfort, economy and reliability issues would deter me from touring the outback in it.
Old 15-04-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

What sort of touring ... is probably the main point.

I did 5yrs & 200,000klm in a TJ ... and I could be tempted to say it was a great "tourer" ... however in reality ....

It was "adequate" for the travel between waypoints ... and excellent for poking around the interesting spots at the waypoints ... the same as previously owned landies and cruisers.

I suspect a JK would be more than adequate with its better "comfort" appointments over a TJ, whilst providing the similiar exploring ability of the TJ .... however an allwheeldrive station wagon like a Prado gives better long distance comfort & range and still has reasonable offroad ability.

Just remember ... most of the places people go to in their dakar rally equipment fitted vehicles .... have already been visited by people in the past ... in old falcon wagons, kombis and subarus or whatever ... when the roads, if any ... were in a much worse condition .....

So buy whatever takes your fancy and best meets your needs IMHO.
Old 15-04-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
All the touring tracks you mention arent that difficult in reality. Remote yes, corrugated with some sand etc, but not really difficult.

With 3 kids the rear centre seat of a Patrol is no good, and you may find the rear of a JK squishy with 3.... I'd look at a diesel prado. Roomy, reliable, economical and 180l fuel tank as standard. And the wife can daily drive it easily.

The JK has average (at best) rear loading area, and difficult and expensive to get a roof rack, even then has below average load capacity on it.

JK's are good offroad, but average at best as tourers, they arent designed for it, especially for a family of 5.
totally agree. the bloke wants a family vehicle which is also a daily driver. reliability and comfort are the main issues here. the prado also has the ability to go anywhere a family would be going. he is not looking for a highly modified, hard core off-road monster truck. diesel prado fits the bill. prados are almost the national vehicle of choice for long distance touring and deserve the reputation they have.
Post New Thread  Reply