Rockcrawling in 2006 - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Rock Crawling
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-03-2006
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think a few of u are a bit confused about the whole buggy thing.

Sure moon buggys look crap compared to a full body rig, and sure they would look out of place driving along the usual tracks, but they are custom built rock crawlers built for the big stuff.
Looks is not what the builders are after, they are trying to cram a person and all the running gear into the smallest, lightest vehicle possible. There designed to drive stuff that u wouldn’t even think about driving.

The talk about loosing the sport to buggys ? im sure people said that when they changed from leafs to coils, 35” tyres to 40”, open diffs to lockers, cast iron engines to alloy. Big carby V8 to fuel injected turbo 4 cylinders.

Nothing is disappearing its just a few people are taking the next step forward and trying new things. The big full body V8s will never loose they cool factor.

PS
Look at F1 cars they are small, custom, high $$ only good for one thing type of buggys, who complains about them saying the sport is heading in the wrong direction or its making racing to easy?
Old 03-04-2006
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY
PS
Look at F1 cars they are small, custom, high $$ only good for one thing type of buggys, who complains about them saying the sport is heading in the wrong direction or its making racing to easy?
That's exactly why I don't like F1 and can't really follow it. There's nothing I can relate to, and it's all too wanky. (not saying buggys are wanky though )

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 26-04-2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
It's a shame because if you look at a lot of the American buggy comps, they just go hard at something and end up on their roof. I feel that sometimes it takes a bit of the technical nature away from things because you don't care if you put the buggy on its side or roof.
Not taking anything away from you but have you ever tried to drive something like your discribing? If you had you would realise that attacking walls like that requires far more skill than people think. I have heard so many times that its just "Point and Shoot". Thats total BS. In one throttling climb a good driver knows when to apply all the power they have at hand and they know how to combat what the terrain is dictating to them, they then would have to keep the Buggy on that line and reduce the amount of throttle, then they might just reapply a bit more throttle at the top - all that in mere seconds. Arrghh but that requires no skill compared to the slower technical stages!

Also when you see the Vids of all those rigs rolling of the climbs, i thought you could then appriciate how good the one or two guys are that actually pulled it off, they are not lucky they are just damn good. It is also interesting that most of the guys that make the climbs look easy are also some of the best "Technical" drivers around.

Anyway, if you like rockcrawling then get into it. If you don't like the way its going then support events similar to them to get a start, ie XRCC, Superior all terrain etc etc.

If you do decide on building a buggy ask people that have actually built or driven a buggy. There are so many people out there that make out they know everything there is to know about rockcrawling but they have never built or driven a buggy. Ask more than one person as even those people have there beliefs in what works and what doesn't. Any Driver, spotter and team in the current WEROCK series will be more than happy to take time out and talk to anyone about their Rig, hell they most likely built it from the ground up and they would get really excited when someone digs what they have put together.

One other thing, Australian Rockcrawling hasn't "jumped into the deep end" and is advancing to quickly and copying the americans. We have been doing this since 2002. Its only now after years of hard work that people are finding out about it and are wanting to get involved.
Old 27-04-2006
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS
Not taking anything away from you but have you ever tried to drive something like your discribing?
Yes

With regards to the rest of your post, watching different rock crawling teams drive, you can definately notice which ones know how to drive and which ones don't. Tracks should be built so that those who do know how to drive get further than those that just have more dollars

At the end of the day I like wheeling the hardest stuff I can get my rig onto, no matter what I'm behind the wheel of at the time.

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 27-04-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

...I close my eyes at the start line, and open them again at the end...

Been clinically blind for years.

S.

Build thread:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121388
Post New Thread  Reply