4wd Action Mag - Jeep Fails Again!! - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-09-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default A bigger issue than a Clip

I sub to this mag. too. My readings seem to me to say, if its not:
1 live axle
2 old
3 Japanese
.....it is by definition NFG.
BTW.....IFS......doesn't rate a number it just gets delegated to the fffftooooey category & if it is Jeep it is less than ffftooooey!

It is as tho the Japanese, the biggest plaigerists in the world haven't used a clip to keep a driveshaft in place......umm a quick think.....1985 Corolla had one to keep the CV's in place.....I know this isn't the only case. It just came to mind as one of the biggest pains in the butt to service CV's on, considering how inaccesible the "clip" was.

I am afraid to say that the mag is a tad one-eyed.

My fav reading other than the websites that interest me is towards more balanced publications - once I sweated upon 4wd Action but not so much now.
Auberon
Old 14-09-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the problem isn't that anything on a jeep is held in place by a clip or not. it's the quality of the clip which is the problem. there is any number of clips over the jk, mostly made of cheap brittle plastic. and again on the transfer case it's the quality of the clip that is the issue here. i agree with auberon, most writers would rate jeep as a less than ffftooooey. daimler spent a few years dragging the jeep name through the mud (pardon the pun) and it wiil take a lot to restore it. writers would also tend to be a bit easier on japanses brands because the japanese spent years building up a reputation for quality. even if recently they have made a few mistakes, the writers are more likely to forgive them, because of the reputation they have built. amte of mine has owned landcruisers for years and turns them over every 95000k. openly says that every time he trades one the new one is weaker than the last, but reckons they are still the best on the market. shows what a reputation can do. jeep have a lot of hard work to do to EARN a good reputation and the right to be given a better go by the writers.
Old 14-09-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Jeep have been around alot longer than there counterparts and i think they have 'earned' their right to be given a fair go by the writers. I personally have no issue with the quality of the Jeep for the price you pay for it. I have had 2 and both traeted me exceptionally well despite me giving them a hard time on the trails. Sure they could do things better but i guess so could the likes of Toyota.
I reckon they are on a good thing its a shame the service nationally lets them down, however in adelaide they win my vote.
Is it the best vehicle on the market, probably not, is it the best vehicle for me right now, Yep!
Would i buy another based on everything written, sure would as my experience with them has been very good
Old 15-09-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK,
maybe I'm naive but I thought that manufacturers put their cars through hundreds of thousands of kilometres of testing under the harshest conditions before releasing the cars onto the market. During the testing, which I've assumed is much more punishing than any individual jeep owner could subject their car, all the weak bits would show themselves such as clips and ungusseted diffs etc.
It seems like none of this happening and the cars are released based on....?
Old 15-09-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
OK,
maybe I'm naive but I thought that manufacturers put their cars through hundreds of thousands of kilometres of testing under the harshest conditions before releasing the cars onto the market. During the testing, which I've assumed is much more punishing than any individual jeep owner could subject their car, all the weak bits would show themselves such as clips and ungusseted diffs etc.
It seems like none of this happening and the cars are released based on....?
They are. But they're built by illegal mexicans so things aren't always put together very well.
Old 15-09-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah not sure if the testing is quite that rigorous.

There seems to be an alarming trend towards letting consumers test the cars for the manufacturers these days. The cars are put together and shipped out, seemingly with minimal testing, and then if there are issues that need to be addressed, the car company issues a TSB or recall (just look at the staggering number of TSBs that exist on the JK wrangler). Saves a lot of time and money testing prior to release, and also allows them to start earning sales income earlier than they otherwise would be able to.

Its not confined to cars either. Computer hardware and software is also commonly released before the bugs are ironed out. Then they just issue an update or something after they get feedback on the issues.

It sucks, but seems to be the way things are going in a world where there is increasing pressure on companies to keep pushing out bigger and bigger profits.
Old 15-09-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwrangler View Post
Yeah not sure if the testing is quite that rigorous.

There seems to be an alarming trend towards letting consumers test the cars for the manufacturers these days. The cars are put together and shipped out, seemingly with minimal testing, and then if there are issues that need to be addressed, the car company issues a TSB or recall (just look at the staggering number of TSBs that exist on the JK wrangler). Saves a lot of time and money testing prior to release, and also allows them to start earning sales income earlier than they otherwise would be able to.

Its not confined to cars either. Computer hardware and software is also commonly released before the bugs are ironed out. Then they just issue an update or something after they get feedback on the issues.

It sucks, but seems to be the way things are going in a world where there is increasing pressure on companies to keep pushing out bigger and bigger profits.
I'd bet any one of the big 3 european groups would have more TSBs on any vehicle in their model range than Chrysler would have on the JK.
Post New Thread  Reply