Diesel Fuel - are there options? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
...My truck gets changed every 10,000k and should be good for 1.5 million before an inspection, and I hope my CRD is the same...
Drover, what kind of truck do you drive? Does it have all the emission shit like EGR, DPF etc?
Old 11-03-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Some diesel fuel additives contain suspended abrasive particles (alledged to aid cleaning injectors) but they erode injector nozzles over time. However, some diesel fuel additives seem to be ok (in the sense that they do not erode injectors) but whatever else they do may not be necessary if a good diesel fuel is used. Most ULSD diesel fuels now contain a lubricant element to replace the role that sulpher used to play in lubricating injector pumps.
yep, that's what the injection technician told me: fill in good fuel, replace fuel filter every year and put nothing extra into your fuel systems; and it will run trouble-free far long.
Old 11-03-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,884 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeJK View Post
Drover, what kind of truck do you drive? Does it have all the emission shit like EGR, DPF etc?
A Volvo FM12...420HP lovely rig to drive and being a 2001 model it doesn't have the latest crap hanging off it, no AddBlu which may do wonders for pollution but makes refuelling just that little bit longer and I still get the same km/lt as the newer fancy vehicles, just costs less per Km.

Regular filter changes on diesels will save engines along with clean fuel.
But with it hitting $1.50/lt petrol looks good............................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 11-03-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Changing the filters too regularly is not always "good" for them contrary to popular belief.

A filter usually works (filters) better the dirtier it is. You will find if you plot filtration vs flow when brand new the flow will be at its highest but the filtration will be at its lowest. As the filter is soiled, the filtration will improve but the flow will decrease. Eventually you will reach a point where the filter can no longer support the fuel flow which is required of it - this is the proper time to change the filter.

Air filters are the same.
Old 11-03-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Changing the filters too regularly is not always "good" for them contrary to popular belief.

A filter usually works (filters) better the dirtier it is. You will find if you plot filtration vs flow when brand new the flow will be at its highest but the filtration will be at its lowest. As the filter is soiled, the filtration will improve but the flow will decrease. Eventually you will reach a point where the filter can no longer support the fuel flow which is required of it - this is the proper time to change the filter.

Air filters are the same.
I hope your not serious Yom.

This might be so if your using a sieve as a filter, but a quality filter is designed to provide the correct filtration straight from the box. If a filter is run to the point where it can no longer support the flow required, then there is a very real risk of forcing contaniments through the filter.

Changing filters regularly is far better for an engine than not.

Compared to the cost of an engine, regular filter changes and using quality fuel is very cheap.
Old 11-03-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Am serious. Was required to be thrown into the mix to challenge conventional thinking as changing a fuel filter every 10,000km is a waste of time and money.

PS: am also serious, but will come down alot to the media the filter is made up of - paper weave for example are screwed the moment they see water (even when brand new and clean) and will let particles through way larger than they're meant to. The only way anything will make its through the filter media is if the media is damaged or or the particles are small enough to get through the weave (in which case they shouldn't really hurt things).

Last edited by Yom; 11-03-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Am serious. Was required to be thrown into the mix to challenge conventional thinking as changing a fuel filter every 10,000km is a waste of time and money.
Its call preventive maintenance. With the quality of fuel being questionable in many areas ( at times there is no option but to fill up at a small servo ), the cost of a filter and the time to fit it is bugger all. It can do no harm but potentially save a lot.

[/QUOTE]PS: am also serious, but will come down alot to the media the filter is made up of - paper weave for example are screwed the moment they see water (even when brand new and clean) and will let particles through way larger than they're meant to. The only way anything will make its through the filter media is if the media is damaged or or the particles are small enough to get through the weave (in which case they shouldn't really hurt things).[/QUOTE]

Quality filters are a must. The fact remains though that a quality filter will provide the required filteration from new. By running until restricted the filter will experience a large negative pressure on the outlet side. The filter medium can then distort, which causes damage and can allow the contamination to force though. This can happen to any type of filter.