WK2 CRD Laredo - Has anyone taken one offroad yet? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-02-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default WK2 CRD Laredo - Has anyone taken one offroad yet?

Hi all,

I am leaning towards buying a new WK2 CRD Laredo, and will probably option it with the offroad adventure pack ($1500). I wont be doing Quadralift, so I can get an aftermarket offroad suspension lift later.

Whatever 4wd I buy now, will be kept long term, 7-10 years. In that time I intend to take this to Cape York, Flinders Ranges and Simpson Desert. Also up to Broome and Fraser Island.

So I'd like to find out what the experiences have been with owners of WK2 GC. Has anyone had the opportunity to take one on a good long trip? How has it stacked up to expectations?

Cheers,
Savvas
Old 27-02-2012

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Some of the guys over at jeepgarage forums have taken them on trips. One guy took it to Fraser when he first purchased it. A few others have done some light offroading, and some of the guys in the US have taken their 3.6s and hemis a little bit off road. a lot of information over there due to it being an international forum. So might find more what you are looking for.

ill be taking mine to Fraser i hope in june or july
Old 28-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Yup, went for a spin today in Wifes GC Limited with quadralift.
Did have stock tires and were still at road pressure but to be honest I was not overly impressed. I drive a lifted JK with a few extras and I gues I am used to taking that anywhere. The pic below shows the quadralift a full tilt. I could not get up this little ridge without spinning and bouncing, even then I almost rolled it so I went back and around. The JK walks up here with no issues at all. The traction control kicks in only after you give it the berries and It puts you in a potentially hazardous position if you dont want to gun it.
As a standard bushtrack car, its a ripper, in terms of going anywhere serius I would want to have a winch as minimum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gails GC.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	53139  
Old 29-02-2012

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

What mode where you in? Did you try all of them, such as Rock + 4WD Low?
Old 29-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

I was in 4 Low in Rock mode with highest lift setting, to be honest I was very dissapointed. I drove a new prado up the same section last month and it walked straight up with its traction control.
The JK dosnt even spin a wheel and i have no dif locks.
Im a bit nervous about taking it on the beach but mabye it will perform ok.
Pehaps someone else has had a different expierience. Also was rock mode the best choice here? not sure.

Here is a pick of the two cars on the same spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JKGCW2.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	53162  
Old 29-02-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth View Post
Yup, went for a spin today in Wifes GC Limited with quadralift.
Did have stock tires and were still at road pressure but to be honest I was not overly impressed. I drive a lifted JK with a few extras and I gues I am used to taking that anywhere. The pic below shows the quadralift a full tilt. I could not get up this little ridge without spinning and bouncing, even then I almost rolled it so I went back and around. The JK walks up here with no issues at all. The traction control kicks in only after you give it the berries and It puts you in a potentially hazardous position if you dont want to gun it.
As a standard bushtrack car, its a ripper, in terms of going anywhere serius I would want to have a winch as minimum.
Yup - agreed I've got the GC laredo diesel (without Quadralift). Also got a JK rubi which I can also compare with.

I don't think the grand is a serious offroader, however I may be disappointed due to the crap factory Kumho tyres. I've got some BFG AT's on order so this might change my opinion.

Still, if you really want to offroad it - the manual tells you to remove the front air dam - which really isn't practical. Maybe a bullbar would be nice??

I'd definately tick the Quadralift box next time.

In the standard form, it's great for dirt tracks, towing and road warrior work. I love the car, it's just not a serious offroader as is.

Nevertheless - I love the car
Old 29-02-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvas View Post
Hi all,

I am leaning towards buying a new WK2 CRD Laredo, and will probably option it with the offroad adventure pack ($1500). I wont be doing Quadralift, so I can get an aftermarket offroad suspension lift later.

Whatever 4wd I buy now, will be kept long term, 7-10 years. In that time I intend to take this to Cape York, Flinders Ranges and Simpson Desert. Also up to Broome and Fraser Island.

So I'd like to find out what the experiences have been with owners of WK2 GC. Has anyone had the opportunity to take one on a good long trip? How has it stacked up to expectations?

Cheers,
Savvas
I dont know if I would keep a jeep any longer than its warranty period now. Starting to have a lot of things fail that I would have thought should have lasted a lot longer since I bought my WH in 2005
Post New Thread  Reply