Keyless Remote - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2019
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,937 Times in 2,323 Posts

The manager was using the Grand for his run around for the last 10K and they couldn't find the second key fob, pretty certain the one they found is the mate to the one I have, I was thinking along the same lines of actually getting both Fobs recoded, the old style key while it may open the door it doesn't shut off the imobiliser or start the car, the fob is the magic key........don't even need a key present...
Since it was posted yesterday from 120kms away it will more than likely get here in a weeks time.............if its the right model but doesn't open mine I will keep it and get a recode done on it anyway so it will work...... I have the pin and $75 better than $300.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 17-09-2019
MonsterMoose

Well to finish off this thread, the dealer finds the missing key fob, a day or so before I hit send on PayPal to buy one from the US, it works so there's $300 saved on a pot luck buy.............though I was 99% sure it was the right one.....

Old 18-09-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Well to finish off this thread, the dealer finds the missing key fob, a day or so before I hit send on PayPal to buy one from the US, it works so there's $300 saved on a pot luck buy.............though I was 99% sure it was the right one.....
Good to hear the nightmare is over.
I guess you will make sure you never loose the key/fob again!
Old 18-09-2019
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Good to hear the nightmare is over.
I guess you will make sure you never loose the key/fob again!
Hey, I never lost it in the first place , even been thinking of getting another fob and getting it coded by local locksmith and that will give me 3 key fobs, so if the missus and I loose ours I will still have a coded key to save the mortage. While being able to just leave the fob in my pocket to lock,unlock and start the vehicle is nifty nice, its a pain when working on it, going to the beach or out bush, can't stick the damn thing in a secret spot on the vehicle or accidentally go swimming with it, might be good gear for the George St Bling Set but I think I would prefer the old metal key, it can roll around in the dirt, go swimming or just get tek screwed under the bull bar far more versatile, durable and sensible for a FWD than these electronic gimmicky things...... I suppose a Faraday Box hidden outside somewhere would work to lock the fob into.

As for anti theft, well my old analogue vehicles were always deaded by a simple mod I did to them which to by pass required about 30 mins of effort if you knew why it wouldn't go in the first place.....so simple never found anyone who clicked to date....... similar could be possible in a CRD too I think, just never bothered...besides that would be for another thread...........

Old 19-09-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 126 Times in 78 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Hey, I never lost it in the first place , even been thinking of getting another fob and getting it coded by local locksmith and that will give me 3 key fobs, so if the missus and I loose ours I will still have a coded key to save the mortage. While being able to just leave the fob in my pocket to lock,unlock and start the vehicle is nifty nice, its a pain when working on it, going to the beach or out bush, can't stick the damn thing in a secret spot on the vehicle or accidentally go swimming with it, might be good gear for the George St Bling Set but I think I would prefer the old metal key, it can roll around in the dirt, go swimming or just get tek screwed under the bull bar far more versatile, durable and sensible for a FWD than these electronic gimmicky things...... I suppose a Faraday Box hidden outside somewhere would work to lock the fob into.

As for anti theft, well my old analogue vehicles were always deaded by a simple mod I did to them which to by pass required about 30 mins of effort if you knew why it wouldn't go in the first place.....so simple never found anyone who clicked to date....... similar could be possible in a CRD too I think, just never bothered...besides that would be for another thread...........
Just get a brass key cut as a swimmer key (bathers, under car etc) then lock your fob inside hidden with the plain key.
We did plenty of those for prospectors etc.
Another tip, allways take both fobs on holiday with you, split them up so you have one each. The pain you'll save will be in high hundreds of dollars. You'll be still mobile.
Old 19-09-2019
MonsterMoose

I was thinking along those lines and did some experiments this morning to see if having the key fob inside did anything and found a spot where it can be hidden and not activate start, was most surprised. A few more tests to see how things go.

Post New Thread  Reply