Kj cherokee 2.8 Diesel CRD or 3.7 Petrol - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Kj cherokee 2.8 Diesel CRD or 3.7 Petrol

Long story short I wrote off my 2004 Cherokee in an accident and am now searching for a new one.
I'm tossing up whether to go for another petrol one or spend that little bit extra and buy a diesel cherokee.

I'm terms of economy I know that the diesel better but in terms of reliability which engine is generally better?

Is there anything I need to be watching out for if I decide to go the diesel route.

This is a classic diesel vs. Petrol smackdown so let me know if you have any pros and cons for each engine

I'm thinking the diesel one purely because of economy and only paying 4 cylinder rego compared to 6 cylinder

But yeah guys let me know what you think

Cheers,
Conor

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have a 2006 Jeep Cherokee KJ 2.8 with 163K, I bought in 2015, with a full servicing history (poor bastard must have spent a fortune).

Cons
It has been reliable most of the time, but did almost leave me stranded due to a faulty / broken alternator pulley (common issue). Currently also struggling with air in the fuel system (another common issue). Timing belt service is crucial at the 100,000Km. Parts can be expensive, so you have to be smart / resourceful. Not too many people know about these engines, so might be harder to get good service. Dealerships are useless here in Brisbane.

Pros
However they can be fantastic little Jeeps with a few modifications / fixes (EGR delete and Provent a must).
Low end torque is fantastic and addictive (will be hard to drive a petrol once you are used to a Diesel). Fuel efficiency is better compared to petrol (I've done 820Km on a full tank). The Diesel version will also come with the 5 Speed Auto (545RFE) and a better 4WD system (selec-trac offers Full Time).
Haven't had any major high cost work yet (transmission, fuel injection, turbo etc..)

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...&view=previous

The fuel efficiency of the Diesel will make up in the extra servicing costs (Synthetic oil, diesel filter), so keep that in mind.

Make sure you do a lot of research of what the common issues / mods are so you don't end up buying a project you won't be able to afford in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by KJ75; 09-08-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts

Have 2005 3.7L KJ very happy with it. Have a lift big tyres heaps of other mods. I purchase all my parts from US and our local garage will install for me. As long as you do the maintenance all is ok Most of my work has been for mods and it gets an oil change every 6 months or 5000km and a major service as required by the service manual.
Its the best beach 4x4 I have owned tows my Teardrop everywhere drinks a bit I get about 550 to 600km to a tank on the hiway. Just having the fuel injectors replaced at present as a few were leaking so hopefully get a bit better performance down the track.
The only major mechanical issue I have had is the Auto, had it completely rebuilt and a aux trans cooler and temp guage installed.
Old 09-08-2017
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys

I've found a diesel with 140,000
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/acaci...nt=app_android

And a petrol one

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/arche...nt=app_android

The bloke selling the diesel one has sent me some other photos as well, so I should be asking him for the service history and if he's taken it in for recalls etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Price seems cheap for the Diesel, as they are around $9K to $10K.
Make sure the timing belt was changed at 100K. If not make sure it's done, as you don't want this to break. Should also do the water pump.
Post New Thread  Reply