First Time Buyer 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default First Time Buyer 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited

Hi All

First time Jeep buyer. Looking at a 2014 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Diesel 4x4. Have taken a few on test drives and love everything about them.
Main useage will be primarily highway driving and getting about town. It will go off road occasionally when we take the kids camping but nothing to serious and it will tow my parents caravan on rare occasions.

My primary concerns as there has been lots of press and internet research brings up plenty of stories about reliability issues with Jeeps. Im interested what other peoples experiences are with this model / things to look out for when buying. As anything i buy will be out of warranty replacing a gearbox after 2 years is something I want to avoid
Old 04-12-2017
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

In my experience the predominant reason you here so many bad stories is due to the terrible after sales service from FCA and there network of dealers. Im not saying Jeeps are super reliable, but I think they get a disproportionately bad rep because of the way they dont fix issues when they occur, and also somewhat due to the non disclosure agreements companies such as VW and others make people sign to get problems solved.

IMO a modern CRD is not a very good pick for an around the town vehicle due to the fitment of DPF's, if your doing an hour drive a week at 100kmh or over then the DPF should get hot enough to do its job otherwise forget crd or expect expensive repairs.

The 8sp ZF auto is a pretty decent gearbox. You don't here many complaints particularly if your not getting it hot under strain by heavy hauling or continuos low speed offroading or both. Service costs on these are up there but not moreso than other vehicles with larger crd/auto powertrains

Last edited by OzRick25; 04-12-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 288 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRick25 View Post
In my experience the predominant reason you here so many bad stories is due to the terrible after sales service from FCA and there network of dealers. Im not saying Jeeps are super reliable, but I think they get a disproportionately bad rep because of the way they dont fix issues when they occur, and also somewhat due to the non disclosure agreements companies such as VW and others make people sign to get problems solved.

IMO a modern CRD is not a very good pick for an around the town vehicle due to the fitment of DPF's, if your doing an hour drive a week at 100kmh or over then the DPF should get hot enough to do its job otherwise forget crd or expect expensive repairs.

The 8sp ZF auto is a pretty decent gearbox. You don't here many complaints particularly if your not getting it hot under strain by heavy hauling or continuos low speed offroading or both. Service costs on these are up there but not moreso than other vehicles with larger crd/auto powertrains
That is a pretty straight accurate answer.

IMO you should search the forums both here and abroad for the typical issues that owners are having and the type of vehicle usage they are using their car for, to help form your purchase decision.
Be careful just asking for opinions as some people love their car irrespective of any issues they may have had and and some owners hate their car and it maybe genuine underpinning reason for that hatred maybe based on a ongoing problems that FCA will take money for but not resolve or sometimes the issues have been minor issue and they owner feels let down because they are overly fussy.
Post New Thread  Reply