Jeep Commanche - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2006
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jeep Commanche

Does anyone know if there are any jeep commanches in Oz? ( the XJ ute) I would love to find one.

or would it be difficult to import a LHD one and convert it over.

I'm just interested. Anyone with any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2006
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteve
Does anyone know if there are any jeep commanches in Oz? ( the XJ ute) I would love to find one.

or would it be difficult to import a LHD one and convert it over.

I'm just interested. Anyone with any thoughts?
There are a couple of private imports, I've only ever seen one here. Saw heaps when I was working in Samoa though all left hand drive and all rust heaps.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-01-2006
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Poly 4x4 have one , Hunter Racing were importing one, and I have one.
As far as I know, thats it for MJs in OZ.
If anyone knows any different, Id love to hear about more MJs in the country.

Polys is converted to RHD and registered in Vic, lifted and rather smick, a VERY cool rolling ad for their business
Mine is in the process of conversion ( hey Ive only had it for 14 months and Im doin it myself!)
The Hunter racing truck is yet to land here? (as far as I know)

GOD knows why these things werent imported by the boat load they would have sold like, well, like Comanches!
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 06-01-2006
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Poly's one had the front stoved in so was dirt cheap to buy and bring over as they knew that had to cut off the front anyway to make the RHD as easy as possible. They cut through halfway up the A pillar and through the floor halfway along the front door opening if memory serves.
I was contacted by someone from Sydney who was putting one on the road and swapping everything from a wreaked RHD into until I told them that the inline 6 would not fit without a firewall change from the V6 it had in there. There was one sold about 18 months ago too already on the road in northern NSW and heard of one in QLD as well.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 06-01-2006
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

OK, so thats 5, possibly 6 in the country?
GoJ, was the one from Sydney the Hunter MJ that was mentioned in JAA?
I had heard of the mytical QLD Mj but havent seen any pics to confirm, could be the same truck in Nth NSW?
Mine will be a cut and shut similar to Polys, its the only complete and safe way to do the conversion, Ive documented evey part so far and spoken heaps to both Jim and Chris @ Poly about how and why they did it the way they did their truck.
None if it is that diffuclt to do just very time and $$ consuming.

Mine has been here for 11 years and from what I can tell has had 3 previous owners who never got around to starting the conversion or working out the simplest legal way to re-engineer the thing.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.

Last edited by Gildo; 06-01-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2006
Princess
Visitor

oh there is one around this area south brissy/ Ipswich. I see it all the time, I have no idea if it belongs to this forum or not, but the whoever drives it uses it as a work truck, always has ladders and shit strapped to it.
Old 07-01-2006
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

I was just after the bed from one when I building up and camper trailer about 5 years ago. Would have looked great behind the XJ. Just couldn't find one any where and most are full of rust in the States unless from the lower West coast!

Maybe I should have built this one afterall

Bad photo chop I know but was my first effort all those years ago. Had one guy in the States contact me after seeing the shot and he was inspired enough to start building one. Showed the progress pictures along the way but never the final on the road shot so dont know if it was ever finished?

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 07-01-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply