EGR defeat for WG 2.7 CRD - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrardB View Post
My engine billows smoke! And I recently had the manifold inlet pipe off and the inside was covered in black sticky oily mess.

guess I know what I'll be doing in the near future..lol
The boys beat me to it Jarrard. It has actually been covered but in a round about way in several other threads. I'm guessing what you saw is something like this:

This is what it should look like:
Old 10-11-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts

Hmm, not as severe as that - more like oil than carbon.
Old 10-11-2014
No Winching

Quote:
Hmm, not as severe as that - more like oil than carbon.
I suspect you are talking about the intercooler hose end. In which case it is no where near as bad there as it will be down in the manifold. Those pics are on the inlet ports themselves. If you look down the inlet you will see a venturi pipe, it actually bolts into the manifold and looks like a blanking plug from the outside. This point is where the EGR is introduced. Before this point you should just be seeing oil blowby (sounds like your comment). After this point you will have something like mine depending on how bad it is. Mine had about 168k on the clock when I cleaned mine. If you want to test it get a cheap pipe or borescope type camera or get a wire rod with a bit of rag securely secured to the end and have a poke around further down. Even a thin bit of sheet metal say 10mm wide, 1mm thick (colorbond even better .55mm) with a little bent over hook end and have a scrape around. Mine had a good 5mm coating all around the ports right down into the head at the valve. So you can imagine how detrimental to efficiency a reduction of the inlets by 10mm could be. Not to mention how bad airflow would be as it's all bumpy and lumpy.

The result is the oil mixing with the soot and it's best described as tar like. Incredibly thick and sticky and certainly not what you want the dog walking in when snooping around the back of the shed if he is allowed inside the house like ours. ( A very dark day in our household that day)

Last edited by fester; 10-11-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2014
Full Flexer

Is it hard carbon or is it soft enough to pull out with a hook-type scraper?
Old 10-11-2014
No Winching

Quote:
Is it hard carbon or is it soft enough to pull out with a hook-type scraper?
Soft but very sticky.
Old 11-11-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,294 Posts

Tried looking for that thread you did fester with all the pics, no luck.
Anyway this mod is well worth doing along with adding a catch can, in fact it is a must do mod the sooner the better.
Disable the EGR no black soot, the catch can screens the sump air removes a large amount of oil that can pool at the bottom of the intercooler and turns the soot to gunge in manifold, mine removes quite a bit of oil.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 10-03-2015
Full Flexer

OK,

I've just done the mod and it took all of about an hour to make the circuit and plug in. I hacked into the MAF signal wire right near the plug and ran a longer section of wire over the back of the motor against the firewall. No Issues to report and black smoke has basically stopped.

I thought I would attach this image as I had a little trouble identifying where the wires attach etc and had to consult the manual. This may save someone some time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep MAF EGR.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	70789  
Post New Thread  Reply