Dual Battery 2007 WH - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-02-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dual Battery 2007 WH

Hi All,

New to both Jeep and the forum, recently bought a WH 2007 CRD I have been searching both the forum and the net looking for info on fitting a dual battery system to run a fridge and some accessories.

I can see there is no room for a 2nd battery under the bonnet, I am prepared to fit a sealed unit in the rear (I have done this in a previous car)

The information that I am looking for is what type of isolator/relay needs to be fitted, can these cars use the standard or basic Repco/Red Arc type isolators/relays or do they need something different like some modern cars do. Also, where has anyone safely placed the isolator under in the engine bay?

Another question I have is about the accessory plug in the boot of the car, I have plugged my fridge into this plug, and it runs fine, but fridge does not switch of when the car is turned off and parked, it keeps running and drawing power, I thought as it was an accessory plug when the ignition is switched off then so would the power to the plugs?

Apologies in advance if this is covered in another thread but I cant find it, happy for someone to link me to it if there is one
Old 22-02-2022
AJOR Bronze

Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Welcome to the WH CRD Club.... Im a recent joiner too...

According to Redarc, GC's post 2013 have a variable output alternator (which would require a fancy DC-DC charger set up). It will be good if someone can confirm that an old style VSR works on a WH..

https://www.rpc.com.au/pdf/REDARC_is...e_vehicles.pdf

Yes, the rear 12v socket is constantly live (like the right hand one on the centre dash, the left hand dash one is a cigarette lighter type and is linked to the accessories or on key settings. Only live when vehicle is turned on.

Last edited by Mace1; 22-02-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 22-02-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Mace1,

That's what I am hoping to find out, what sort of alternator it has.

Something to remember that there are 2 constant live accessory plugs, have to be careful.

Cheers
Old 22-02-2022
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Mace,
I have a Thumper battery in the rear of my WH CRD which is connected to the main battery via a Basic Redarc isolator. I've been running this since the car was new without any problems. I run a 40l Engle connected to the Thumper and when travelling the Thumper is connected to the car battery.
Cheers
Dave
Old 22-02-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks DarwinDave, Sound like there is 'Dumb Alternator' in the WH, makes it a whole lot simpler and cheaper, where did you mount your Isolator
Old 22-02-2022
Senior Newbie

Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

if it's the 3.0 CRD then the WH has a LIN-bus controlled alternator(180A in my 2005 WH limited), it's not dumb at all.
Alternator is Valeo TG17C030B, you can easily search for the regulator module for that alternator and you can clearly see it's LINbus, as well as from the factory service manual of the car.

Whether the ECU actually controls the load-response curve or just uses it to monitor(i'd guess the former since they went to the trouble of using a LIN alternator) is a mystery(i don't have the equipment to capture and sniff the LIN traffic -for now- to analyze)

It's on the same LIN-bus as the glowplug module and the car detects the alternator failure over the datalines(no exciter line or anything of the sort going to the dash as old cars)

Last edited by WilliamAR; 22-02-2022 at 02:09 PM. Reason: more data
Old 22-06-2022
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Go the mega life lithium battery all in one dual battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply