Grand Willys Project - Page 292 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-05-2023
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

I wanted a brush finish for the stainless as think it will be more practical. Tried different grades of sandpaper and Scotch-brite and ended up settling on the purple extreme scrub bought at the supermarket.

Then hit the script with good old Autosol.

I designed the box so I could access all the seams with my spot welded as the stainless is so thin. I had a oil can in the front face and thought I would try using a heat gun on the high spot for 15-20 seconds. Then cooled with a damp rag. Took the oil can right out!

Thought to make a lid for it in a similar design to the doors and back of the cab. The radius in the corners also match it.

Using step dies this time rather than art dies as keeps things flatter.

Using the heat gun to shrink where the metal gathered in the corners as it is so near the edge.

All finished! Handles are to carry it by and the small loops to hook a finger in to lift the lid. Have anchor fittings each end so it can be strapped down.

The box was passivated using phosphoric acid as I don't have any nitric acid. Read it also works to stop the welded and areas worked with steel tooling from rusting.

Sits nicely against the head board and tucks under its flange. Also against the fuel filler cover on one side and leaves enough room to attach the hold down straps at each end.

The width of the chest was made so the opening would match how far the tonneau comes forward.

Easily accessible and have rubber lined the bottom also to slow things sliding around. Great place to put the shopping as now wont slide all over the floor. Can even fit a couple of folding chairs.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 26-05-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 26-05-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

WOW, that is a masterpiece! Do you have a metal working backgroung? Its great to watch the progress of that build in your post, cant wait to see whats next.
Old 27-05-2023
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oclock View Post
WOW, that is a masterpiece! Do you have a metal working backgroung? Its great to watch the progress of that build in your post, cant wait to see whats next.
Yes, been in metal work as a blacksmith and then structural steel welder with big iron power arc rods! Neither tie over to this sort of work though.
Did build aerofoil impellers for large extraction fans and there casings to ventilate multistorey builds etc and even for the air force to suck clean the runways! Not really hand forming though as all done in large press machines and then welded together.
Would build large square to round transitions etc from scratch including calculating and laying out the design, so that helps you think through the processes.

Studied structural engineering at RMIT so got a good feel for loads and stress points etc.
All helps in the end.

My web site:
Old 31-05-2023
LokRinger

I wanted to make a pressing die that would recess the head of a Nutsert/Rivnut so it would be flush. I turned up in stainless a male die that the raised step was the diametre and thickness of the head of the nutsert. The female side I made the step in the thickness of the head and the head diameter plus 2.5 times the thickness of the metal that would be pressed.

First slide on the male die and then insert into whatever you are going to install the nutsert into. I first drill the hole to suit the mandrel size so it stays centred which will be the same as the bolt diametre that will thread into the nutsert. I have threaded the female die the same as the mandrel.

Just use the setting tool as normal to squeeze the male die up to the material. Took less pressure to press the recess than setting a nutsert.

Now have a nice recess to sit the nutsert into.

The nutsert head sits perfectly flush now, so whatever you bolt up against it, wont sit out the thickness of the head.

The reason for making the dies is so I can have a way of securing the new chest to the head board of the bed.

Nutsert pressed into place.

Simple bracket folded up and spot welded to the top of the chest. Then bolted to the new nutserts.

Now the chest can't move so the lid always clears and no rattling either. I also lined the inside of the chest to protect the walls from anything moving and to damped any sound.

My web site:
Old 06-06-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Nice one! That is schmick. Small gas strut to keep the toolbox lid open while you're getting things in and out?
Old 06-06-2023
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENAMON View Post
Nice one! That is schmick. Small gas strut to keep the toolbox lid open while you're getting things in and out?
Thank you.

Lid stays open on it's own as just over centre and the rake of the truck as well. Slight resistance in the hinge also helps.

My web site:
Old 15-06-2023
LokRinger

https://youtu.be/qY2hiL6E9Qw
Next chapter starting.

Also note my wife settled on Elvira for the name of her project.
I been asked quite a few times if I have named mine and only refer to the GrandWillys name for it.
After my wife wanted to name hers I thought maybe I should call mine Thor?
Maybe T.H.O.R. Truck Hammered On Relentlessly!
After all it has had over 75 meters, 3000", of tig welds planished all by hand just in the body shell alone!

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 15-06-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply