How much should it cost to to replace a diff solenoid? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-11-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Replacement E-locker
2008559 Dana 44 OE E-Locker 32 Spline Rear 07-13 JK Rubicon for 68036128AA
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2008559-D...item2588dc8678
Old 19-11-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Why can't you manually disengage and drive home?
Sure it'll cost the price of an oil change but that's cheaper than a plane ticket, and the covers already off isnt it?
Just leave the locker disconnected so you can't re-engage it accidentally.
Old 19-11-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

For the money they quoted you could have this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-D...-/231063919835

And then sell your old one.
Old 19-11-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts

I'd drive it home. It will release eventually. If your rear tyres are evenly worn you shouldn't have any issues. Only on low speed corners you might get some chirping of the inside tyre. Any bind up of the diff will probably cause the locker to release anyway.
I'd be getting other opinions for sure.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
Old 19-11-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking I might just pull it. However, the bugger is their going to sting me $300 for the inspection then no doubt load on some extra to re-assemble it, but even at $500 it's probably worth pulling. When they told me it was going to cost three grand I asked if I could just have it put back and drive it home and that's when they told me I'd need to pay $300 for the inspection and yet more to have it re-assembled again! Needless to say at this point I am extremely disappointed by the service from these guys and wish I had never taken my car to them.

I'll acknowledge that at one point they did call me up to say they had removed the from plate and couldn't see anything wrong. They said they still suspected the solenoid was the problem and said they would need to access the other side to replace it and asked for permission to open up the other side before going ahead. I agreed to have them do that but my goodness, I had no idea it was going to cost this much for them just to inspect it and that the best case for replacing the suspected solenoid was $3000 (or $2500 to replace it with a used one as they graciously offered). I can assure you I would have never started on this path if I had known.

As it is, at the moment I just feel completely sucker-punched into this and must say I am extremely disheartened. I hope that some how some good may come of it, but I have to say at the moment I'm not feeling too hopeful - but we will see how it goes.

Last edited by S.Bartfast; 19-11-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 20-11-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 819 Times in 460 Posts

Just remember some of these workshops are charging over $100.00 an hour labour. Dealers I have asked are up to $150.00 !!!If I ever have to take my vehicle in which is rare I ask how much is the labour ,it pisses them of sometimes.Took the WH for a warranty oil change at an NRMA workshop,I supplied the oil and got a labor bill for $240.00 !!Neg down to $180.00.For diffs I have always used Aussie Diffs at Coolangatta.
Old 20-11-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bartfast View Post
As it is, at the moment I just feel completely sucker-punched into this and must say I am extremely disheartened. I hope that some how some good may come of it, but I have to say at the moment I'm not feeling too hopeful - but we will see how it goes.
That there is reason enough to go elsewhere. If you ain't happy with their inspection how will you feel about their repairs?
Post New Thread  Reply